Mini Stove > Cabin job.

zoothorn

Glad it passes the Onoff test! Im using alot more now, a great reading room with stream noise 'under' me, sun aims straight in front. 

I think time for a zoot's musical interlude before I jump into last stage. Just read a fab biography (Hoskyns) of this grisled dude.

Thanks, Zoothorn.

More than a few jealous folk on here with that I can tell you. A proper little retreat! All year round too once you get that stove going. Really like that.

Do you have "power" of any sort out there? Maybe look at a solar charged battery set up for a bit of light / LED reading lamp.

On a serious note you might want to add a CO2 alarm in there. God forbid you doze off and the stove leaks. I might be going a bit OTT with that idea but I would.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

EDIT: I meant carbon MONOXIDE alarm...

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

More than a few jealous folk on here with that I can tell you. A proper little retreat! All year round too once you get that stove going. Really like that.

Do you have "power" of any sort out there? Maybe look at a solar charged battery set up for a bit of light / LED reading lamp.

On a serious note you might want to add a CO2 alarm in there. God forbid you doze off and the stove leaks. I might be going a bit OTT with that idea but I would.

Not bad for £500? Cabin was. Great sun trap here too. Stream can be noisy tho! No power.. in fact I didn't factor this in when I applied for refugees. But vw camper days mean I know I can cope without, just. Some battery thing would be the way tho, surely an ipad could run from a 'block' something. Then just 1 light. All I need. No www tho. Download 2 vids per night/ & read = my 'boring', but v.satisfying evenings here ammount to!

Its quite some distance from house. So both www, & electricity are nigh on ruled out methinks. Pic here is fairly good re. scale.

Yes I always say co2 as well, co I think it is being mono. Very good point, certainly will do this.

zoot.

FAE28483-FA79-4A10-827F-B31743A4026E.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn

Dithering idiot here.

Got a bit more £ & going flue out back now, not straight up.

A birch tree adjacent to cabin LHS I hadn't accounted half overhangs cabin. So flue the extra 2ft further back is best.

Thx zoot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Make a waterwheel connected to a small generator.

True green power.

That's a great idea, I would. Use it to charge a 12V system in the cabin.

There's some off the shelf ones designed for campers, hikers etc. WaterLily is one that will also double as a wind turbine (with added blades). There's a Kickstarter /  crowdfunded one too I've seen called Estream but I don't know if that's come to fruition yet. 

Edited by Onoff

Cheap Chinese?

[£11.83 37% OFF]Yellow Translucent 12V/10W DC Water Flow Pump Generator Turbine Generator Water Flow Hydraulic DIY Electrical Equipment & Supplies from Industrial & Scientific on banggood
https://banggood.onelink.me/zMT7/sgrmle8z

Presume anything like this would need a filter to stop it clogging with debris from the stream.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

All we need now is a dam to create a decent flow 🤯

Surely a dam will impede flow.

They are used to increase the head, so a smaller volume of fluid is needed.

Dammed hydro electric generation is really a combination of solar and gravitation forces.

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Surely a dam will impede flow.

They are used to increase the head, so a smaller volume of fluid is needed.

Dammed hydro electric generation is really a combination of solar and gravitation forces.

Like with the old mill ponds.

Increased head is always good.

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

Isn't all our power solar

No.

Nuclear and Tidal aren't.

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No it increases “head” and concentrates flow through the turbine 👍

MGH

Mass flow rate times Gravity times Height.

The greater the difference in height, between the water surface and the turbine, the same amount of power can be extracted from a smaller mass flow rate.

It is why we don't have turbines on many river weirs, they are just not high enough.  And why, even in the Bristol Channel, a tidal turbine is not that great, in the scheme of things.

15 m of height difference is too small, the Grand Coulee Dam is over ten times the height and has a name plate capacity of 6.8 GW, twice the size of Hinkley Point C.

A Barrage across the River Severn would be ten miles long, Grand Coulee is a little less than a mile wide.  They would both produce about the same power, but tidal barrage is intermittent, so less energy is produced in a year.

31 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

No.

Nuclear and Tidal aren't.

Isn't the Sun just a bfo fusion reactor?

& doesn't the Sun have a gravitational effect on tides albeit not as much as the Moon?