Mini Stove > Cabin job.

zoothorn

11 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Its called "151 hard as nails". Not "no nails". Its got crap reviews ' wont stick anything ' etc.

Peter Im reading up that quarry tiles are better laid on mortar, building site info etc. 3:1 with a tiddle of antifrost plasticiser-?

it will - and it’s fine. 

Quarry’s on mortar are for outside

18 hours ago, PeterW said:

it will - and it’s fine. 

Quarry’s on mortar are for outside

Peter, sorry Im just a bit stuck seemingly. Cold weather, frost possible tonight etc.

Will this now suit my better using either mortar, or the Tube/ nails grab glue?

thanks, zoot.

Peter was right of course. My tube of nails stuff seems to have stuck my tiles down fine/ done.

Grout, paint the plinth as per walls last. So now to consider the flue.

@ProDave the cheaper way, Im fairly sure, would be single econo 4" flue up to ceiling.. then here obviously the double standoff-to-roof whatnot section. I'd have thought Id benefit from added heat dispersion this way. Yes I may need to line behind, but possibly not, & not difficult to & only 0.75m or so.

But you have said to go double all the way up, through ceiling. Main reason you suggest this?

Thanks, Zoot.

Right, this went well.. what I have now, is a 1" gap around my two back ( 800mm ) edges. Plinth to paint yellow/ do last.

So the 2 heat barrier 'panels' to consider next. Might they standoff to the walls say 1/2" ? If so they could sit down in these two gaps.. then fill gap up last: so just a 1/2" gap to fill with grout or mortar.

B4D521F6-9B66-478C-8D3A-3081CF85180D.jpeg

33C60440-E558-4AE7-8854-B6D3AE020BA5.jpeg

• Like 3

That looks very much like our burn that can come up in spate very quickly.  As long as it doesn't come over the top.

So you now need to look for some metal sheet to make the heat shields.  If you go single wall flue to the top the heat shields will need to go all the way up. If you swap to twin wall just above the stove, the heat shields won't need to go much above the stove.  You need to look at availability of sheet metal and the cost vs the cost of twin wall flue and work out the best compromise.

For his metal sheet how about the sides from a suitable white goods appliance like an old abandoned washing machine etc?

Tidy the edges with a slitting disc in a grinder, rough up the paint and refinish in a heat resistant black.

Wow that looks really good mate, well done you. As an alternative to metal sheet what about tiling, cheap tiles, end of line?, being ceramic they would be heat proof surely! Brick slips! ?

Edited by joe90

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Lovely. Is that your banjo? 

No, but Im impressed you noticed 2 tuners on headstock ( = 4 string: i took off two ). Its a Romanian kids acoustic.. but sounds ace.

4 string reason. Im a fan of guitarist Lou Barlow, who does this & tunes the 4 his way (he knows a trick or two: the harmonics go into like an unknown extra gear this way.. a unique idea, brilliant songwriter/ eg below).

A musical interlude ( electric 4 string here): Lou Barlow was bassist in Dinosaur Jr, kicked out '88, formed Sebadoh:

Zooter.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Useful this Dave thanks. In fact I can go closer to these sheets with my stove than I thought then. But best pull it out 2 " more as it's a wood cabin.

So my inch gap around back is ideal/ sheet can tuck down into & butt up to my tiles, just the sheet stuff to source. 

And if I should go like the hetas diagram, std flue up to 425mm from ceiling... then double flue from there up.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

I am intrigued by this kids guitar converted to 4 string.  Isn't that a Ukulele?

I assume as a minimum it would have needed a new bridge and nut to convert to 4 strings? 

Maybe a tenor guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_guitar

Not as popular as they once were, but you still see them, and I've even seen an electric one.

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

I am intrigued by this kids guitar converted to 4 string.  Isn't that a Ukulele?

I assume as a minimum it would have needed a new bridge and nut to convert to 4 strings? 

Good Q. Yes, the idea came from a baritone uke ( big thing, size of my kids acoustic) which this chap just retuned his own way & wrote on ( being a mighty fine -& fkn heavy- bassist, 4 strings obviously he knew well).

Then to transpose these/ beefed up into a band, he used say a gibson with top & low strings removed. No nut or bridge redo needed.

So for eg, an early song ( on the baritone uke: great harmonics example) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXLTg7HC9HY  & the same song full band: with bass (often playing chords, in std tuning) + a gibson 4 string, so two 4 string guitars, & drums, simple as = heaven, to me anyway!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p3L5B1NFgY

Zoot.

Edited by zoothorn

54 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

Maybe a tenor guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_guitar

Not as popular as they once were, but you still see them, and I've even seen an electric one.

Yes pretty much this Stewpot. I think the smaller baritone uke just gives more of a chimy ringy sound, plus easier to carry about.. that looks a bit bulky: myself I cant do full size acoustics, i find them uncomfortable. I have a 'big baby' Taylor 307 as my main gtr.

I will stick to my 6 string. It's hard enough learning something that is standard. Trying to learn something different with less information about would be even harder.

The real advantage of 4 strings to me would be wider string spacing, I often think I would like to try a bass.  Having said that I do prefer the electric to the acoustic..

My sailing partner plays a Uke, something I have never tried.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

I will stick to my 6 string. It's hard enough learning something that is standard. Trying to learn something different with less information about would be even harder.

The real advantage of 4 strings to me would be wider string spacing, I often think I would like to try a bass.  Having said that I do prefer the electric to the acoustic..

My sailing partner plays a Uke, something I have never tried.

Actually this is the reason my chap boiled it down to 4. Being a lazy sort, he says its way easier to play to undo two, retune a bit helps. Then only two or three fingers can easily make patterns, & the harmonics aspect means your chords sing. Simply a no brainer, to him he explains. 6 strings, when we have only 4 fingers? is daft he says. Hmm.. some logic there!

Tbh Im no fan of tiny uke's doing the typical high register plinky stuff. Great idea for school kids instead of recorders tho. But saying that, I think G.Formby made me wanna play a " guitar"  tho I know his wasn't a std uke, I forget what now. Aged 6 or so it was G.Formby,  plus this, gave me my guitar path in life! ( then jimmy page soon came along.. etc etc).

Zoot

this is more my thing and what I am playing at the moment (no that is not me and no I am not that good)

It saves all that bother with chords, which I am not very good at (short fat fingers but every guitar teacher says there is no such thing)

I dont think anything as simple, ever sounded as effective ProDave. I hear Marco Pirroni/ adam&theants when i hear these  fine surfy ditties ( A&tAnts my next musical stop after Roobard I think, aged about 8 ish.. to 50 as I still think they're fab! ).

Rock on old dude. (I mean the ^ old dude, not you!).

If I was new to guitar, I'd buy a good baritone uke. Dispense with the usual uke plinky dinky guff/ ie it doesn't have to be used 'traditionally', retune it & just teach yourself ( as we all do ) & you have an immensely rewarding hobby. Far better than struggling with a std 6 string acoustic: hard on the fingers, bulky body, a frustrating thing for most.

Edited by zoothorn

I found the acoustic to be bulky, and the fret board too wide so I find it hard to reach the top string with my short fingers.  The electric has a much slimmer neck and easy to reach all the strings but of course that means they are closer together, so harder for chords, which is why I am experimenting with this sort of music to generally avoid them.