Armored cable

nod

One of the first jobs when we finally start is to lay a drain down to the garage and tank and add a armored cable to the trench to supply the garage 

Slightly different than last time As we will have the usual lights and sockets 

But also a small water heater for hand washing 

My question is meter run What thickness of cable ?

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Direct buried H6942XL or similar

25A 6mm2

35A 10mm2

45A 10mm2

Do you need a car charger at the garage also as that can be the issue with this sort of supply. 

Thanks I’d heard that 

We can put that on the side of the house next to the mains if need be 

8 hours ago, nod said:

We can put that on the side of the house next to the mains if need be 

Makes sense but is an interesting form of words that made me think about the future. I guess most families will need more that one car charger (it) - for their second car or for overnight guests or any guests who won't get home on what they have left in the 'Tank' (battery) so it will become 'they' and then you are into wondering about how to lay them out. We had planned one on our build but now I am wondering how to install two of them - maybe the second on a post the other side of the parking bay. Then I am wondering if my 100A (1ph) supply will be enough!

Suppose it depends on the redundancy you want - I would get a 3Ph install to a dedicated kiosk just inside the gate and then run a phase to the garage with a charge point on it, another to the house, and then have the 3rd as a “spare” which could provide a dedicated charge point somewhere on the driveway if needed. I know that Western Power are now installing 3Ph by default around here for all new connections which is more than likely to support car charging.  

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Suppose it depends on the redundancy you want - I would get a 3Ph install to a dedicated kiosk just inside the gate and then run a phase to the garage with a charge point on it, another to the house, and then have the 3rd as a “spare” which could provide a dedicated charge point somewhere on the driveway if needed. I know that Western Power are now installing 3Ph by default around here for all new connections which is more than likely to support car charging.  

I really should have sorted this out months ago but have been so bogged down with planning issues 

Would you mind marking up where you would bring the power into the house and the routes to the garage please 

image.thumb.png.cc84508e6240d06905c130bfc18e1f14.png

image.png

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@nod yep will do. Have you had a quote from UK Power Networks to install single or 3 phase ..? 

I’ve got a link to your PP somewhere so will use the site plan - have you got a water connection .? And no gas ..?

As always Thank you Pete 

image.thumb.png.5a1a4c9d37a39bd9ab18df88f543fe54.png

If you do the kiosk idea to the left of tge drive you can take all ducts to the plant room and then over to the garage. We split the power in the kiosk and have isolation switches so we can isolate either building, we have a garden room not a garage but it has a 9kw shower and that works fine at 40m from the kiosk we did both runs in 10mm. We also ran ducts for water, gas (and installed track pipe which we wont use now) and comms. So our fibre comms comes to the kiosk and we have a 1Gb  switch of our own which then takes the feeds to the two buildings and allows me to connect front cameras and control external lighting from there also. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

this is similar to what we're doing but I was planning to run 3Ph from the kiosk to the plant room in the basement and then run the house off a single phase but run 3ph to the garage internally so we can install 3ph car chargers (one EV at the moment and will change the other car to EV at some point once the build has finished and we have some money again!). our garage is built on an insulated slab so we can't run cables underground to it any more.

although I've not discussed this in detail with the electrician so it might not work that way!