Size matters - wee building only needs permission for drainage connection?

Grian

Hello :)

I had some good advice here when we were planning our now-complete house and I am back for more! The next step is a very small ancillary building connected to the house services, to provide additional accommodation (bed, kitchenette, bathroom). I was advised this morning that if the structure is smaller than a certain size then the only building control involvement is with regard to connecting to the septic tank. Can anyone elaborate on this please or point me to a good source?

I had resigned myself to going for a mobile shepherd's hut type building as I believed I would otherwise have to meet criteria for minimum distances and suchlike which would mean engaging an architect. This provides a glimmer of hope. I was thinking along the lines of a Sweeny's bothy kind of thing http://www.eiggtime.com/sweeneys-bothy in terms of being basic/rustic.

As I understand it I do not need planning permission for this if it is in the curtilage of the building and for our own use...

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Grian said:

Hello :)

I had some good advice here when we were planning our now-complete house and I am back for more! The next step is a very small ancillary building connected to the house services, to provide additional accommodation (bed, kitchenette, bathroom). I was advised this morning that if the structure is smaller than a certain size then the only building control involvement is with regard to connecting to the septic tank. Can anyone elaborate on this please or point me to a good source?

I had resigned myself to going for a mobile shepherd's hut type building as I believed I would otherwise have to meet criteria for minimum distances and suchlike which would mean engaging an architect. This provides a glimmer of hope. I was thinking along the lines of a Sweeny's bothy kind of thing http://www.eiggtime.com/sweeneys-bothy in terms of being basic/rustic.

As I understand it I do not need planning permission for this if it is in the curtilage of the building and for our own use...

Thanks in advance!

You don't need planning for small buildings (terms & conditions apply) presuming they're for storage, den/man cave/ home office etc but if it has bedroom, kitchenette, etc you will no matter how small it it. Anything that can be used as a self contained unit, granny flat, etc. needs planning.

This is the rule where I am but it will depend on your local planning laws. Where are you based?

Edited by Dudda
  • Like 1

You can build a small single storey building under the "caravan" regulations.  To legally be a caravan it does not need to be on wheels but needs to me moveable in some way that can include picking it up with a crane and lifting it onto a low loader.

Such a building is exempt from building control except for any drainage system that it is connected to.

It might still need planning permission, that is separate.

• Like 2

So, it seems the key bit I was missing re exemption from Building Control is that the structure must be moveable (in a maximum of two sections, I gleaned elsewhere here) as well as single storey and small as per caravan regulations. 

And I am reminded, thanks, that I would need planning permission if it had it's own facilities for eating and washing, even if it were for my own household use.

Thank you!!