Minimum height of rafter end for fascia/gutter

WWilts

Really depends on length of run to get the correct fall for gutters or you end up with an obvious taper line. Not as apparent with a deep facia.

if you are wanting overhang you can extent the rafter or hang gutters on drop hangers

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, markc said:

Really depends on length of run to get the correct fall for gutters or you end up with an obvious taper line. Not as apparent with a deep facia.

if you are wanting overhang you can extent the rafter or hang gutters on drop hangers

We went with level gutters, I know ots not ideal but a bit of sitting water doesn't seem to do any harm and as the runs were over 8m having a fall would have looked rubbish

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WWilts said:

Would 60mm do? (see pic)

No.

I found 120mm high fascias to be problematic. 150mm is smaller than average.

You need to consider the following:

1. The pitch and tile overhang dictates the top lip of the gutter and this will be lower than the fascia top.
  2. You need to factor in the extra height of the roof battens on top of the rafters.
  3. Some tiles/slates look better with a bit of upwards kick in the first eave course so the fascia top will be higher than that calculated for the batten allowance to support the kick..
  4. Gutter systems have brackets have different heights and you want to make sure the bottom of a bracket does not droop below the fascia.
  5. The gutter will need a gradient so having calculated the minimum fascia height for the 4 points above, add the gradient.
  6. Finally if ground drainage requires a downpipe at a specific position then double check the wall plate is bang on level. In my case the wall plate was off 5mm the wrong way against the planned gutter gradient which caused some head scratching given my already slim 120mm fascia.

A 372mm overhang is unusual but if you want that you will have to abandon the idea of resting the soffit on top of the last course of facing bricks and fit hangers that drop off the rafter tails to provide fixing points for the soffit.  This assumes the masonry is complete.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Fit 6x2 rafter tails to the existing and drop a row of bricks off to give you a decent soffit and fascia. 

I did similar, 6 x 2 rafter tails (bolted to my i joists) with tongue and groove above to look like an old roof structure, 150mm facia looks fine.

DC600770-2095-410C-955E-49FB9AC69C51.jpeg

• Like 2