Conservatories will soon need to show they don't create 'unwanted solar gain'

MAB

"Regulation being brought in from June to apply to conservatories in new-builds. Policy is part of measures to future-proof homes against predicted 40C summers. The new rules, which also aim to improve domestic ventilation and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30 per cent, will limit window sizes according to which direction they face and whether the home is likely to overheat. Conservatories that are unheated and separated from the house with exterior walls and doors may be exempt. But others will face complex and expensive modelling to show they will not become too hot in the summer – limiting the use of trendy floor-to-ceiling glass."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10416599/New-climate-change-rules-outlaw-new-build-conservatories-create-unwanted-solar-gain.html

Interesting as nearly everyone here said my large south facing conservatory would over heat, but it has not, in fact it contributes a lot of heat to the house in the shoulder seasons. On a sunny but cold winters day my heating rarely comes on. Yes mine is outside the heating envelope and has large doors and windows that can be opened. P.V. can be used to run air conditioning as the sun shines when it’s needed!.

• Like 1

Nothing has really changed with conservatories. If thermally separated they can ignored - if not they are treated as part of the dwelling so included in the heat loss, CO2 emissions, DER/TER  calculations etc and the solar gain (overheating) assessment. What has changed is that this part of overheating is now in the new Appr Doc O  which has both a simplified method and complex dynamic thermal modelling method

• Like 1