Cleaning windows - complying with regs

eandg

Working through warrant issues identified by our building control officer and one that may have been a bit of an oversight on my part is complying with the (Scottish) requirement for cleaning windows and roof lights. We have a tall window which is approximately 4.8m above a half landing in the stairway. We also have five rooflights but I think these are just within the 4m limit. From my meeting of the Regs I need to find some way of cleaning the top of the window which complies with BS8213 (which is available online but only behind paywalls). Any thoughts/advice?

We had this in our warrant application and plans

"High level windows to be clean via water fed pole system to be ratained with the property or by a professional window cleaning company (this does not remove the requirement for the water fed pole system). Water fed pole system will allow for the windows to be cleaned from a solid load bearing surface. Any openable windows are to be fully reversible in order to be cleaned from inside the property. Rooflights 1800mm above ground or floor level need not be designed to be safety cleaned."

• Thanks 1

This kit is a 4.5m pole.

https://www.ungerglobal.com/uk/products/stingray-indoor-cleaning-kit-450-os

Not cheap, but in theory would give a 6.5m + reach., So give s tick in the box for internal Window cleaning.

External can be by ladder or wet pole as above suggestions

Edited by JohnMo
Missed word

3 minutes ago, Ralph said:

We had this in our warrant application and plans

"High level windows to be clean via water fed pole system to be ratained with the property or by a professional window cleaning company (this does not remove the requirement for the water fed pole system). Water fed pole system will allow for the windows to be cleaned from a solid load bearing surface. Any openable windows are to be fully reversible in order to be cleaned from inside the property. Rooflights 1800mm above ground or floor level need not be designed to be safety cleaned."

Thanks - sounds exactly what I'm after without having the BSs to hand. Much appreciated. 

The only thing with a water fed pole system is that the professional kit doesn't use "normal" tap water. The cheapo ones you just attach to your hose tap.

They use variations on de-ionised water or a reverse osmosis system. Ordinary tap water can and does streak. That's the systems that just use water and no detergent.

Imho, if you can get to the glass it's Fairy Liquid in a bucket with a dolly and squeegee. Microfibre cloth to pick up any runs.

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

This kit is a 4.5m pole.

https://www.ungerglobal.com/uk/products/stingray-indoor-cleaning-kit-450-os

Not cheap, but in theory would give a 6.5m + reach., So give s tick in the box for internal Window cleaning.

External can be by ladder or wet pole as above suggestions

Really don’t see how this works? Manual won’t open for further details but how do you clean windows without water.

I’m only asking because we have 6m cathedral windows which I have attempted to clean with my long window brush, had to remove curtains blinds etc and put down towels to catch the water but in my experience the longer the pole is the harder it is to manoeuvre, I think this one would really only be any good for dusting them down not properly cleaning them, I would love to be proved wrong because we ended up having to hire a scaffold tower to go up and clean the windows properly 

20 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Karcher do an extension pole for their window vac. I don't think it's massively long but I'm sure you could rig something up with it.

I did think about that but the karcher is quite heavy and I can’t see the extension pole being much good, the trouble with all these things is you have to buy before you try, believe me I know, I have a cupboard full of things that promised to do things that they never did!

40 minutes ago, craig said:

I've put Building Standards Technical Handbook Scotland April 2021 on my OneDrive for you. It is covered under 4.8.3, it doesn't cover telescopic brush poles for example but you will not encounter any issues. Internally, the same scenario applies, you'll comply.

Thanks Craig - it's the method statement of how I comply with the standard which I need but hopefully Ralph's above does so and doesn't necessitate any redesign.