using 2nd hand/reused building materials - problems with sign-off?

Has anyone experienced any isses with using reused/reclaimed building materials eg PIR? I'm just thinking it won't come with certification for fire safety etc. Any problems with sign-off/buildings insurance etc?

If you think about it often lots of salvaged materials are used in listed or protected buildings. You often have reclaimed slates, beams, doors, architraves, etc. Re-using oak beams or doors is acceptable and they'd be required for fire. Building regulations for listed or protected buildings can be more relaxed and exemptions given in order to preserve our national heritage however the point still stands that they can be used.

As for PIR rather than using reclaimed you can purchase 'seconds'. These are boards which mightn't be 100% perfect and often sold at greatly reduced prices. eg a 150mm board measures 140mm at one end so is technically defective but perfect in every other way . I've used seconds for insulation and found no issues. I might have been lucky but they were perfect. I think out of 20 boards 2 had a small void and one had a corner missing. Other member's here have used seconds in the past also without issue. I'm not sure how available these are now as I got them 5 years ago.

25 minutes ago, Dudda said:

As for PIR rather than using reclaimed you can purchase 'seconds'.

That's what I'm looking at, but as seconds  they don't come with all the certification. Exactly the same stuff though, just not certified.

'Seconds' will be downgraded for a reason. This means they will not comply with relevant British/European Standards, not be covered by CE marking or BBA certification and as such not fit for use under the Bldg Regs/Approved Docs. Not that any BCO I've come across would police this! Perhaps more of an issue if fire performance questioned.