Thin insulation for window reveals

Kilt

Looking for recommendations for insulation around window reveals. 

Just had new upvc sash windows put in our barn conversion, replacing rotten old ones, however the new frames are far thinner than old, (window company cockup) so im struggling with some of the reveals and getting some insulation in there.
The tightest clearance is 20mm. 

Looking for advice. 

I had thought about using super quilt, but without the recommended battons, or using some insulated board of some form. 

I even tried Wedi board, but it’s too brittle

to support a plaster finish and kids. 

attached photo is of one of the better reveals, I’ve been able to get battons and 20mm PIR in here.3E3563EF-19E9-4C1A-AE0A-A672E10B3B70.thumb.jpeg.240237e80231a45a524b82fe5107f8d8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Radian said:

What's to stop you cutting some of the rubble back to square it up and create enough space for a decent thickness insulation backed plasterboard circa 40mm?

A lot of the stone work is lime mortar, or soil based, so any disturbances, create massive movements. It’s all rubble/field stone, some are massive stones, so I could end up with some pretty big holes! ?

2 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

I’d ask the window company who didn’t allow ‘add ins’ to the frames what they suggest. 

Dot and dab foil backed 9mm PB was their answer. 
the worst offending area, I kicked off, as there isn’t sufficient margin for any build up. 
they’re coming back in spring to take window out and alter stone work for that one. . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kilt said:

Dot and dab foil backed 9mm PB was their answer. 
the worst offending area, I kicked off, as there isn’t sufficient margin for any build up. 
they’re coming back in spring to take window out and alter stone work for that one. . 

what? That’s no good.

ask for a structural engineers report from them stating how much bearing they can remove from the lintel above. Without being a complete ‘meldrew’ they’d be changing all my windows. 

16 minutes ago, Kilt said:

A lot of the stone work is lime mortar, or soil based, so any disturbances, create massive movements. It’s all rubble/field stone, some are massive stones, so I could end up with some pretty big holes! ?

Was actually thinking more of diamond disc cutter than bashing with chisel but I understand if you feel that might be too disruptive.

7 hours ago, Radian said:

Was actually thinking more of diamond disc cutter than bashing with chisel

This is what I would do, you could easily take 50mm back without a drama and then go 50mm PIR and plasterboard stuck to that.