Do mains interlinked fire alarms need to be made by the same manufacturer?

Adsibob

I need to fit an LD1 grade D2 "unified mains powered interlinked fire alarm" system to my house. I need about fourteen of them! Prices range from about £15 per alarm to £80.

At the more expensive end of the range, there are some clever smoke alarms which masquerade as fully functional LED spotlights. I'd like to fit these in the two or three locations where a regular alarm would look really ugly and where I was going to have a spotlight anyway. But I don't want to spend £80 on each of the 11 to 12 other ones. Can I mix and match or will the interlinking feature not work? I was hoping that if they are hardwired, the interlinking would work by electrical signals along the wiring and so compatibility wouldn't be an issue, but I'm probably thinking wishfully. Anyone successfully mixed and matched? Or does the word "unified" in the fire engineer's report preclude this sort of thing?

Edited by Adsibob

You cannot mix and match interlinked detection, the manufacturer  instructions state this.

for example…

‘’Ei3014 is a Heat Alarm with a Class A1 heat detection sensor. It can only to be used as part of a fire detection system, i.e. interconnected with Aico/Ei Electronics mains powered Multi-Sensor Fire or Smoke Alarms’’

8 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I would just fit the Aico ones.  They are reliable and decent value.  Get the mains lithium ones.  Nobody will notice whatever the aesthetic thing with the lights is supposed to achieve.

Positioning needs to be accurate.  e.g. of you have rows of downlights thena badly positioned smoke alarm stands out like a sore thumb.