Smoke Alarm Regs change in Scotland

More from my news feed..

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/just-days-left-fire-alarms-25958104

Scots have just days to install new fire alarms or risk insurance policies becoming worthless

Controversial legislation coming into force on February 1 requires every property to have an “interlinked” system costing up to £400.

Edited by Temp

Became a requirement for rental properties about 10 years ago (I believe).

You to have a heat detector (only heat not combine heat/smoke) in kitchen, plus smoke elsewhere..  Google combined ones are mentioned in the guidance notes, as not to be used, as they do no comply with the registrations, being combined smoke and heat.

Old news but surprising how many have not heard about it.

I am not sure the bit about insurance not paying up is just scare mongering, but any excuse for an insurance co not to pay out I guess.

This should have come in last year, but was delayed due to Covid.

I am doing 2 this week and 2 next week. 

We used akito alarms. Heat and monoxide in kitchen and boiler room, Heat and smoke everywhere else. Plus a link to spinkler system plus s test button which tests the whole installation. Works well, but we did need to un 3core and earth as you have the Interconnect signal in addition to pos and neg. Easy to do during build, Nightmare after but think they also do a wifi connected system which may be less disruptive

Radio linked systems are quick and relatively easy to install, and just take power from the nearest source eg light fitting with loop-in's, or a socket outlet with a fused spur connected for a 3a/5a supply. Basically you can pinch power from anything as long as it's fused down accordingly ( if a higher power circuit than a lighting supply ). @ProDave, can folk DIY?

There appears to be a recent change in the new Scottish law that allows radio linked 10 year life battery alarms.  That makes my job a lot easier in some cases.  I am sure the first version of the law when I looked over a year ago did not allow that.

Wish the guidance was a bit clearer though.

im sure the last time I read something about it it said every home needed,  it’s not exactly legal speak, normally words like mandatory are used.

also is it the start or end Feb for completion?

Good to know deadlines, so one can ensure compliance eh?

Edited by TonyT

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Radio linked systems are quick and relatively easy to install, and just take power from the nearest source eg light fitting with loop-in's, or a socket outlet with a fused spur connected for a 3a/5a supply. Basically you can pinch power from anything as long as it's fused down accordingly ( if a higher power circuit than a lighting supply ). @ProDave, can folk DIY?

nothing to stop you.

Fit  smokes etc and 

https://www.eielectronics.ie/wp-content/uploads/FDAS-Certificate-of-Design-Installation-Commissioning.pdf

fill in form and issue to your self.