Ceiling Speakers Recommendations

1 hour ago, richo106 said:

Hi 

we are planning a renovation project and would like to install a ceiling speaker in each room (2 in one of them)

is there systems out there to do this? Could anyone any ceiling speakers to do this?

Many Thanks 

I used Polk rc60’s ( think that’s their name ) . Basically a stereo speaker in 1 unit . Work great !

Thanks for the recommendations

What system would I use with these speakers? 

would I need an individual system with each room?

sorry for the novice questions, despite being an electrician I have never done any home stereo etc 

Many Thanks 

Before you figure out your spec, the key question is what do you want to achieve?

Do you want to be able to play different sources in each room?

Where is the source coming from? Do you want a wired or wireless speaker system?

Is it just radio / music or do you want to tie it into AV (i.e. your TV).

How do you want to control it (app on phone etc..).

Figure this out and you'll then have a better idea of how to deliver it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Before you figure out your spec, the key question is what do you want to achieve?

Do you want to be able to play different sources in each room?

Where is the source coming from? Do you want a wired or wireless speaker system?

Is it just radio / music or do you want to tie it into AV (i.e. your TV).

How do you want to control it (app on phone etc..).

Figure this out and you'll then have a better idea of how to deliver it.

Yes I would like to play different sources in each room, could reduce the zones and have say Alexa/Sonos in bedrooms

The source would be coming from a mobile phone and would like to controlled off an app if possible.

Just radio/music over the speakers 

3 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Yes I would like to play different sources in each room, could reduce the zones and have say Alexa/Sonos in bedrooms

The source would be coming from a mobile phone and would like to controlled off an app if possible.

If the source is only your phone then you need to be able to connect to the speakers (or the amp) with bluetooth.

If you really mean streaming services (Apple Music / Spotify / Amazon music etc) then your amp / streamer can connect to these services and broadcast to the speakers.

You can have wireless speakers at a premium or wired for cheaper.

To be honest, Alexa / echo dots are not a bad starting point as the speakers are surprisingly loud for their size and are voice controlled plus can work with any streaming service. We have a few around the house, do what we want which is usually a bit of background music when not watching TV.

43 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Also depends how technical you want to get or just plug ‘n play .

I use raspberry pi’s with max2play software - works excellent for streaming my digital music collection. But if you want ‘easy’ but of course cost more then maybe Sonos ….

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Also depends how technical you want to get or just plug ‘n play .

I use raspberry pi’s with max2play software - works excellent for streaming my digital music collection. But if you want ‘easy’ but of course cost more then maybe Sonos ….

Interesting.

I use the Pi Music Box which sounds very similar.  Does Max2Play allow streaming of internet radio stations?

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Interesting.

I use the Pi Music Box which sounds very similar.  Does Max2Play allow streaming of internet radio stations?

I think so . Probably a ‘plug in ‘ you need to add - though I haven’t tried any of this .

https://www.max2play.com/en/addons/

Thinking about it ; I’m sure sometime ago I did have the Lms server ( squeezebox ) streaming radio . I should really look into this for myself also …

Edited by pocster

I have a pair of Litheaudio Bluetooth ceiling speaker in the kitchen area and a pair of Yamaha 6" in the lounge as rear surround.

The Kitchen one is bluetooth connected, no tech knowledge required

The Yamaha is passive type and require a surround amp to power.

I fitted 2x speakers in our open plan living/dining/kitchen. It was a bit of a last minute decision, so the budget wasn't really there for an all out system. 

I went with a Fenton av360bt amplifier and 2x Power Dynamics 100w speakers, all purchased from HIFI Tower.

The amp has a built in FM transmitter, but it isn't great due to the fact its located in my machinery room in the centre of the house surrounded by block walls. Not really an issue as we intend to use it with a Google home type device which will stream radio over wifi. The Bluetooth range is good and have had no issues getting my phone connected to it.

Quality seems ok and I was very impressed with the speakers considering the price of them. Will probably upgrade them in the future but for now they're absolutely perfect.