First fix bedroom lighting

James94

Can anyone offer a better design on our bedroom lighting ,all lighting will be dimmable but I’m thinking we’ve over done it with spots.

this pic shows a rough design and measurements of the room,each side has a sloping section of ceiling.

Regards. James

8BC8B1F8-CCBD-4AD1-BA69-BED31AD932A8.jpeg

This is a plan the electricians have come up with,  featuring a center light and 2 bedside lamps on a 5amp lighting circuit. whilst we do want a good level of lighting I personally think there is too many spotlights. Im just not sure on how to space them out. My dad suggested maybe removing the 4 around center light, what do you think?

James

Edited by James94

When thinking of mine I went and bought a couple of lights, got off cuts of plasterboard and mounted the lights in the ceiling and wired them to a plug then with various extension leads got them all working, I soon found out I needed half the light I thought I needed. 

Also good for working out warm white or cool white. 

Cool white is harsh in a bedroom. 

• Like 1

We've gone for a combination of led-profile coving uplighting, downlighters for when we want a lot of light in the room and pendant lights hanging over the bedside tables. Although we've got no where near that number of downlights for a similar sized room. We ended up with 6 GU10 downlights providing more than enough light when we need a lot of light.

Thanks for all the advice, I’ll speak to the electrician Monday and see if we can maybe reduce the amount of spots. I think I’ll probably try having the 4 surrounding the centre light and just leave the wires there pinned up out way just in case.

Regards James

I too dislike spots in bedrooms (& lounge) - in our current house we only use them when hoovering.

In our new build master bedroom we'll be having a ceiling fan (with light) in the centre, 2 pendant lights (it's quite a large bedroom of 24sq.m.) & 2 bedside low level wall lights.

18 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

When thinking of mine I went and bought a couple of lights, got off cuts of plasterboard and mounted the lights in the ceiling and wired them to a plug then with various extension leads got them all working, I soon found out I needed half the light I thought I needed. 

Also good for working out warm white or cool white. 

Cool white is harsh in a bedroom. 

Did the same 

Got spots that you can flip from warm and white light . Dimmable as way to bright at 100%

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Did the same 

Got spots that you can flip from warm and white light . Dimmable as way to bright at 100%

I just bought some  Integral Warmtone LEDs from Toolstation to try - very impressed so far. When you examine them closely, they have an 1800K LED surrounded by 2700K LEDs and crossfade between the two depending on dimmer setting. The effect looks, as advertised, just like dimming a Halogen. I tried them because I have some old-school phase angle dimmers with IR remote control in a bedroom and normal 'dimmable' LEDs are a bit hit & miss with them. Not all 'dimmable' LEDs really deserve to be called so.

It occurred to me however that these Warmtones must have been carefully designed to ride the AC phase angle and drive the appropriate colour LEDs accordingly. This they do very well. Other 'dimmable' LEDs I've had sometimes don't dim all the way down smoothly but suddenly cut off at some point.

• Like 1