Land Split - Surveyor

Hi All,

I’m currently looking to get land (Garden) from my friend from his current property and am aware I need to get a Solicitor involved to help with the transfer/split of land. This will result in a new registration to Land registry. To confirm, I imagine a Solicitor isn’t capable of creating the Land Registry compliant plan, so I will need to involve a Boundary Surveyor to draw up the title plan and boundaries, including any rights of way?

Many thanks,

Hi - not sure if this helps but we have recently purchased a plot of land which had been severed from a larger expanse of land - A Farmers field - Our Solicitor appears to have dealt with everything needed to inform Land Registry - see below - an extract of an email he sent to me explaining things -

As your purchase of the property is the first time that the property will appear on the Land Register, then this could take quite some time.  This is because the Land Register is based on the ordnance survey maps and these are not always up to date and accurate and they have to be checked over to make sure that the title, which is granted, conforms with the ordnance survey map.The Land Certificate is effectively a guarantee that you have an absolute title to the property and is backed by an indemnity from the Government.

Once the Land Certificate is produced by Register House we will check this to make sure that it is accurate and let you have a copy

The plot was given a boundary by the Vendor and it was from these "boundaries" that we have since worked from and submitted. We never involved a Boundary Surveyor.

Hope it helps PW.

I did much the same, paid around £250 for a boundary survey, which was useful as the chap included a load of spot heights whilst he was doing it that filled in some of the gaps in the topographic survey we'd inherited with the plot.  IIRC I did a web search for local boundary surveyors.