Can you mitre cut terrazzo ?

Adsibob

I was hoping an experienced tiler like @nod might be able to comment on the following.

My architect has had this crazy idea that the rather wide step running in between our lower ground floor and upper ground floor should be clad in terrazzo, and that the two tiles covering the tread and the riser should be mitre cut (45 degrees) where they meet at right angles. This would actually look really good because the upper ground floor is already going to be covered in terrazzo, so if me manage to get terrazzo on the riser as well, and mitre the join, it will almost look like one giant block of terrazo is resting on the lower ground floor to make the upper ground floor.

BUT… although the terrazzo tiles are 20mm thick, won’t they chip when we try and mitre them? They are 600x600 tiles, so not sure if that makes mitre-ing even harder!

1 minute ago, Adsibob said:

I was hoping an experienced tiler like @nod might be able to comment on the following.

My architect has had this crazy idea that the rather wide step running in between our lower ground floor and upper ground floor should be clad in terrazzo, and that the two tiles covering the tread and the riser should be mitre cut (45 degrees) where they meet at right angles. This would actually look really good because the upper ground floor is already going to be covered in terrazzo, so if me manage to get terrazzo on the riser as well, and mitre the join, it will almost look like one giant block of terrazo is resting on the lower ground floor to make the upper ground floor.

BUT… although the terrazzo tiles are 20mm thick, won’t they chip when we try and mitre them? They are 600x600 tiles, so not sure if that makes mitre-ing even harder!

Good timing 

Just caught me having a last look 

I’ve laid lots of Terrazzo over the years and quite a bit on steps Terrazzo slabs like limestone are great for mitering 

Be size they are soft 

As you correctly point out They will chip laid on steps 

Yes Crazy idea 

10 minutes ago, nod said:

Good timing 

Just caught me having a last look 

I’ve laid lots of Terrazzo over the years and quite a bit on steps Terrazzo slabs like limestone are great for mitering 

Be size they are soft 

As you correctly point out They will chip laid on steps 

Yes Crazy idea 

So just to clarify: your advice is that I should NOT do this?