Vertical cladding, minimum batten thickness

Dunny1234

Hi all,

soon I’ll be installing some vertical larch cladding. I need to merge/blend in with some vertical zinc cladding. It would be a lot easier to use 25mm thick vert and horizontal counter battens to make to the 2 cladding materials merge. 

the larch cladding is 20mm thick, could I get away with using 25mm battens?

thanks 

25 minutes ago, Dunny1234 said:

Hi all,

soon I’ll be installing some vertical larch cladding. I need to merge/blend in with some vertical zinc cladding. It would be a lot easier to use 25mm thick vert and horizontal counter battens to make to the 2 cladding materials merge. 

thanks 

25mm thick sounds quite thin. I would have considered 38x50mm as a minimum but maybe I’m too conservative. Then again if the battens were broader than 38x 50mm and had two faces planed / regularised down to 25mm and the battens selected for their structural quality ie with minimum notts, shakes parallel grain etc they would likely be fine. A good joiner should select these

Edited by Gordo
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Dunny1234 said:

Hi all,

thanks 

Got vertical cladding on complete house, that's a lot of cladding! We used roof battons, the blue ones. 25 x 50mm. Batton and counterbatton then fit cladding. Cant see any reason to use anything else, the price for the Roofing battons are enough without going bigger!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dunny1234 said:

Brilliant, thanks 

Our cladding boards are 20mm too and typically 3m long. Given it isn't structural and they are only holding the cladding up I cant see any benefit in using anything other than the blur Roofing battons

• Thanks 1

I agree with those above that say 25mm is fine and it would've been nice to able to use 25mm x 50mm battens for us as it would've saved a lot of money but we had to use 50mm x 50mm battens due to our external blinds needing to have at least 80mm gap between the wall and the cladding. pretty much doubled the cost for our battening.

fortunately we're installing it ourselves and so saving a packet on labour! ?

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have a small section of vertical cladding inset into a render wall - the render build up total is 63mm. Our cladding is 22 so that leaves 40mm or so for the battens! I am thinking 19 x 50 for the verticals and 22 x 50 for the horizontals. Any issue with this for sheltered area of around 7-8 m2?