SolarEdge overcomes DNO restrictions?

Pocster

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yes . But also generation i.e pv 

But you can import on the cheap (sometimes with a variable tariff).

So just get some dedicated circuits i.e. washer/dryer, hot water, persecution chair, and wire them off the batteries.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

But you can import on the cheap (sometimes with a variable tariff).

So just get some dedicated circuits i.e. washer/dryer, hot water, persecution chair, and wire them off the batteries.

Yes. Do that already.

• 11 months later...

I'm chipping in because we have recently added 3kW of solar PV to an existing 4kW array, using a Solaredge inverter with a 9.7kWh battery.

We asked the DNO what they would allow which turned out to be a maximum 4kW of export from both systems combined, and they would only allow us to add 3kW on new PV.

I asked the "if I export limit why is there a limit on the amount of solar panels?" question and the answer was that inverters are allowed a 5 second window to limit output, so to protect their network they impose a limit on generation capacity.

So it can be done.  We have a CT clamp on our grid supply which measures import and export, this is connected to a Solaredge Wattnode device which in turn is connected to the Solaredge inverter.  Solaredge support export limiting which dials back its output to limit total export to the grid to 4kW.

The battery isn't cheap (around £7k) but for about 8 months a year we are pretty much grid independent.   If you can use the power you generate on site, which we can, then I think it is worth it.  If you are just going to export excess power to the grid I don't think it is economic at the nugatory rates paid at the moment.

• Like 1

I'm chipping in because we have recently added 3kW of solar PV to an existing 4kW array, using a Solaredge inverter with a 9.7kWh battery.

We asked the DNO what they would allow which turned out to be a maximum 4kW of export from both systems combined, and they would only allow us to add 3kW on new PV.

I asked the "if I export limit why is there a limit on the amount of solar panels?" question and the answer was that inverters are allowed a 5 second window to limit output, so to protect their network they impose a limit on generation capacity.

So it can be done.  We have a CT clamp on our grid supply which measures import and export, this is connected to a Solaredge Wattnode device which in turn is connected to the Solaredge inverter.  Solaredge support export limiting which dials back its output to limit total export to the grid to 4kW.

The battery isn't cheap (around £7k) but for about 8 months a year we are pretty much grid independent.   If you can use the power you generate on site, which we can, then I think it is worth it.  If you are just going to export excess power to the grid I don't think it is economic at the nugatory rates paid at the moment.

• Like 1