Smart House

Catapulta

20 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

The system would work standalone "dumb" but it means they would have basically lots of light switches switching relays rather than just having a light switch!

My plan is to have it so the switches work the lights, as you via the Solid State Relays, directly when I (or somebody) close these terminals.  There are some situations where some hard wired logic is  required EG for double and triple controlled lighting circuits but this can be done straightforwardly and thereby allow the switch out the control system in the middle. 

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

These kind of planet killing (expletive deleted)ers should be charged £5/kWh, and £100/day meter rental.

Do they have a BEV 'because they are green'?

Well all that kit will use more energy so they will pay more regardless as they will consume more.

Also, given their obviously wealth, it would likely not deter them one iota.

8 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Smart homes are great, until you misplace your phone. What happens when the provider stops updating the service, or removes the service.

Have our lives become so busy that we cannot switch a light on at night, or we have become so weak and pampered that the house must be at the right temperature just in case 'we get a chill'.

Don't was time, effort or money. Just get your house as airtight and as well insulated as you can. It will be cheaper.

Install HA you manage .

What happens if a supplier of anything goes bust ?

Guys

I HA everything I can .

My dishwasher comes on at 1am ( off peak electric ) does it save a lot of £££ ? Of course not . But ! If at cheap rate ( or using PV ) I can use the dishwasher , use the washing machine , charge my EV , fill the Tesla battery - then it’s still a small saving each day . They add up over the years . As electricity prices rise the savings should increase ( assuming off peak doesn’t rise disproportionately) . Should SWMBO turn off a light ? Of course she should - but we all know she ( mine! ) won’t . I think it’s physiological also . Washer on cheap rate , Lights off - I’m “ saving “ . The hassle of doing this varies .