Paragraph 79 approval for our First Self Build - are we mad?

Hi all, 

Hoping I could share some more detailed info of the project we're just embarking on and also request for some general self build advice from more experienced individuals.

We're a couple in our late-twenties and have finally got into a position to undertake a self-build. The project is a Paragraph 79 approval in the Lincolnshire Wolds, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The goal is to reinstate the historical context of our site; where a malthouse was once present in the 18th century. The overall footprint is approx 400sqm and we are adopting passivhaus principals and eco technologies (PV, ASHP, UFH, Battery Store). There is no mains gas/drains and so we'll be using a sewage treatment plant. We've thought about other technology such as rainwater harvesting, but are thus far unconvinced.

Enjoying reading through all the posts on here already - it's great to hear people recommending products, suppliers and also sharing DIY tips.

I'll be project managing the entire build myself with everything already budgeted. The aim is to 'simplify' getting the build to watertight stage by minimising the amount of companies and trades involved; groundworkers for foundation, package timber frame company for the superstructure, window & door supplier and roofing contractor.  - Not awarded any tenders as yet, so any recommendations for all aspects would be appreciated. Our thought process is that once it is watertight, we can (somewhat) move in and tackle the rooms one by one with individual trades and DIY.

For anyone on Instagram, we've started to keep a diary of progress - https://www.instagram.com/thefoxesmaltings/

As a newbie self-builder, I've read 'The Housebuilders Bible', by Mark Brinkley, which I found fairly informative, particularly when it comes to the foundations and superstructure; of which we have no hands on experience with. Aside from that, I'm generally pretty hands on with experience in renovating. In addition to this, I'm looking for recommendations on accompanying books, resources and any individual pieces of advice which you think would help, and perhaps you wish you knew before starting your self build?

Hopefully this doesn't sound like one of those Grand Designs episodes...

Thanks.

G

House3DModified.png