Chimney capping question

Roger440

7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

'Compo' aka sand / cement mix. ;)

Theyre bedded in well but often aren't ever 100%. They deflect the majority but some rain inevitably gets through, plus what gets windswept into the pot. 

Still seems wrong to me to let water into a chimney, that is no longer used. 

6 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Still seems wrong to me to let water into a chimney, that is no longer used. 

Ok so everyone is suggesting a plate and pot as they thought you still wanted to use the stove ..!

A well bedded pot still leaks slight down the edges but the lead flashing tray should catch that if the chimney has one.

Otherwise just cap the whole stack assuming you will never use the stove and make sure it can't be used without someone checking first ..!

Just now, PeterW said:

Ok so everyone is suggesting a plate and pot as they thought you still wanted to use the stove ..!

A well bedded pot still leaks slight down the edges but the lead flashing tray should catch that if the chimney has one.

Otherwise just cap the whole stack assuming you will never use the stove and make sure it can't be used without someone checking first ..!

Sorry, maybe leading people astray here.

I will want to use the stove / a stove at some point, but need to stop the water ingress sort of now-ish. But dont want to have to do the job twice. So if i put a pot on it, i can install a flue later.

Equally, being an old house, capping it fully appears to be unwise, i need to keep airflow in there.

But there is no lead flasing tray at all. Nothing, just a big hole :(:(:(

But you have just me realise my plan is flawed, as once i install a flue, i'll have no ventilation in the stack. Hmmm......................................... Twin pot cap?

Just reading in an old DIY manual that if doing a new pot you would support with "pieces of slate" to sit the new pot on whilst the mortar goes off - obviously you leave a round'ish hole in the middle! As I said above I've seen steel / iron plates in place of slate. 

PM me your email please and I'll send you something on it.

This looks like a good idea. Wooden former, thin mesh to stop the muck falling thru, heavy mesh to hold it all together and support the pot. Tbh plenty of chimney repair vids on YouTube:

23 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Go for this type of thing for the interim, cheap and not compo'd in :). Weathertight and ventilated ;)

In my mind im going round in curcles, but you are probably right, do this as a temp measure. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Onoff said:

This looks like a good idea. Wooden former, thin mesh to stop the muck falling thru, heavy mesh to hold it all together and support the pot. Tbh plenty of chimney repair vids on YouTube:

Interesting approach to flashing! Much quicker than what i will need to do :(

52 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Some things you can overthink ;)

Like @Onoff's bathroom xD

I'll have you know it's an art to create problems that don't exist.....and then worry excessively about how to solve them!

• Like 1