has anyone got a wind turbine?

Mike_scotland

You will almost certainly need planning permission, which will almost certainly be refused.

But if you do get it, then you will have to find a suitable turbine than can meet the sound regulations.

Will your DNO allow you to fit more capacity.

Then if you do find a suitable one, you will quickly learn why you do not see many small turbines, let alone VAWTs.

Do you have room for more PV?

5 hours ago, Blott said:

Do you have experience of vertical turbines

I used to work for a small turbine manufacturer, while they had a good reputation, they still went bankrupt, and like all small turbines, the performance was only a small fraction of the Betz limit. It is why turbines are large.

VAWT are even worse.

Can you not get any extra modules on the hip ends.

Yes, the hipped end has three panels on

The PV systems has 5.67Kw/h Li-iron-Ph batteries and I was just looking to trickle charge the batteries with the turbine, using the Venturi effect between houses.

Thanks for your input.......I'll look at the pros n cons after the PV system is installed.

Thanks again.

On 27/03/2024 at 09:07, SteamyTea said:

You will almost certainly need planning permission, which will almost certainly be refused.

Not strictly true, there are lots of conditions though for permitted development.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/wind-turbines/planning-permission-stand-alone-wind-turbines

Interesting, I found this in that document 

Only the first installation of any wind turbine would be permitted development, and only if there is no existing air source heat pump at the property. 

why would an existing ASHP make a difference?

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

why would an existing ASHP make a difference?

Maybe it's a noise problem, with two noise generators at a property in an urban environment?

• Sad 1

On the subject of noise, my ASHP at my build was way quieter than the external oil boiler belonging to a neighbour where I currently live (not that close either!!,).

Just now, joe90 said:

On the subject of noise, my ASHP at my build was way quieter than the external oil boiler belonging to a neighbour where I currently live (not that close either!!,).

I agree, the problem is the rules seem to be, for PD, that there is an ASHP noise limit.

29 minutes ago, joe90 said:

why would an existing ASHP make a difference

15 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Maybe it's a noise problem

Small turbines tend to be a bit noisy.

And a VAWT at South Crofty, well the now bankrupt heritage centre.

I have a small turbine. 1kW Chinesium special from AliExpress. Bought it as a punt a few years ago. It fell down in a storm and broke.

Finally put it back up with a more solid mounting system in Jan… So far this year it has produced the princely total of 17.2kWh of energy. A whole £5.16. The brackets for the guide wires cost more. A good breezy day from the S-SE and I get about a kWh out of it in a day.

To be fair, it’s not in an ideal location cos I’m in the middle of the countryside and I didn’t want to go nuts and fall foul of planning. It’s shrouded by trees on one side. As an engineering project it’s fine. Compared to my solar panels (5kWp) they do in a day what it’s done in 3 months… I’ll add more solar next.

• Like 1

Turns out I’d responded to this thread with a pic of my dead turbine on page 1! It really has taken a while to get it going again…

Oh dear, another set of dreamers that do not know the difference between power and energy.

From the Sunsync site.

Ridge Blade

Keith Gough, Managing Director of #Sunsynk Ltd is visiting a wind turbine site in North Yorkshire. The turbine is called the Ridge Blade ® and its unique design allows it to generate power during levels of wind speed from low to high. This is a remarkable new design of turbine and destined to revolutionise the production of renewable power. At the present moment in low wind conditions the device is producing 240Wh, however if elevated it is forecast to produce 2kWh. Sunsynk will be monitoring developments with great interest!

• Like 1

Sunsynk likely consists of more than one person with varying levels of expertise. I'd suggest a social media manager without much training in engineering wrote that.

I'd also suggest that a solar company with a profit of £4,673,687 in 2023 and £19,942,282 in the bank has at least one individual who is a trained engineer.

Besides which RidgeBlade are an entirely different entity than SynSynk. I'd be a lot more interested in a critique of the system than any attempt at shooting a messenger.

Edited by NailBiter
  • Like 1