1930s Semi Detached - Rear Extension / Internal Alterations

Ynned

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well!

I recently purchased a 1930s semi detached house and plan to do a single storey rear extension for an open plan kitchen diner. The garage will also be converted into an office and I'm planning to add an en suite upstairs.

Feel free to check out the attached drawings. I would love to hear your thoughts and any ideas to consider. Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-01-12 001156.png

Screenshot 2022-01-12 001325.png

Screenshot 2022-01-12 001442.png

Big enough to park 2 cars?

What is the arrangament for drains in the new ensuite: it is partially over the stairs and I can't see any provision on the downstairs drawing.

With so big bifolds the rooflights won't give too much extra light where they currently are, maybe move furter away?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Olf said:

Big enough to park 2 cars?

What is the arrangament for drains in the new ensuite: it is partially over the stairs and I can't see any provision on the downstairs drawing.

With so big bifolds the rooflights won't give too much extra light where they currently are, maybe move furter away?

Yes, the driveway is big enough for 3 cars.

So the existing main bathroom is where the new ensuite will be and the drains currently run down the inner wall of the garage. I assume these drains will be kept the same for the new ensuite.

Thanks for your suggestion for the rooflights!

Looks like a big household. Are you planning to install a system boiler with hot water cylinder? you may make the study smaller and create a utility room / reconfigured shower?

how deep is your rear wall new steel beam? Looks like that is going to be very beefy 

Welcome!  This does look like a very big ground floor. I would be minded to locate the study elsewhere (ie on a different floor or instead of the “living room “) and have a proper utility room, with space for a water tank and maybe also an accumulator tank if pressure is an issue. I would construct the utility room with very good sound proofing and keep all laundry machines and maybe an additional undercounter fridge or freezer in there. 

not sure of the utility of having a shower room on this floor. Will people come down from the upper floors to use it?

Looks like a great plot, with fantastic potential, but I feel the layout, particularly on the ground floor, needs some tweaking.

I’m not a fan of bifolds. Have a look at sliding systems. 

there are lots of things you can do with the roof if your extension. Will you be getting a pitched roof instead of a flat one? Seedham on top? 

Have you considered extending to about 5m, so the whole kitchen fits in the extension? Then, if only opening the existing windows downwards to make access to the extension and gathering area, you completely skip the massive beam supporting the whole 1st floor. You get more floor space in the extension, more in the utility, and probably still keep the change. .

On 12/01/2022 at 13:09, bassanclan said:

Could you live with smaller bifolds and u shaped kitchen? That would allow you a bit more room in your shower room to get the washing machine away from the open plan area which could prove very noisy otherwise.

I've always wanted to have wide bifolds/sliding system and a kitchen island ? Might have to consider using some of the garage space for the utility room

On 12/01/2022 at 14:58, hb1982 said:

Looks like a big household. Are you planning to install a system boiler with hot water cylinder? you may make the study smaller and create a utility room / reconfigured shower?

how deep is your rear wall new steel beam? Looks like that is going to be very beefy 

The builders recommended having the boiler in the loft since we'll rarely need to touch it. Still undecided on whether we want a combi or megaflow system...

The rear wall steel beam will be 203 UC46.

5 hours ago, Olf said:

Have you considered extending to about 5m, so the whole kitchen fits in the extension? Then, if only opening the existing windows downwards to make access to the extension and gathering area, you completely skip the massive beam supporting the whole 1st floor. You get more floor space in the extension, more in the utility, and probably still keep the change. .

We would love to but unfortunately we're only permitted 3.5m maximum

15 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Welcome!  This does look like a very big ground floor. I would be minded to locate the study elsewhere (ie on a different floor or instead of the “living room “) and have a proper utility room, with space for a water tank and maybe also an accumulator tank if pressure is an issue. I would construct the utility room with very good sound proofing and keep all laundry machines and maybe an additional undercounter fridge or freezer in there. 

not sure of the utility of having a shower room on this floor. Will people come down from the upper floors to use it?

Looks like a great plot, with fantastic potential, but I feel the layout, particularly on the ground floor, needs some tweaking.

I’m not a fan of bifolds. Have a look at sliding systems. 

there are lots of things you can do with the roof if your extension. Will you be getting a pitched roof instead of a flat one? Seedham on top? 

Thanks for your suggestions, we're going for a pitched roof. We initially included a shower room since we weren't planning to have an ensuite upstairs and, in the long term, we may decide to turn the study into a bedroom so the shower room would be used by whoever stays there. But since we're having an ensuite upstairs, it may be worth taking out the shower.

3 minutes ago, Ynned said:

Still undecided on whether we want a combi or megaflow system...

Veissman do a very nice storage combi that might give you the best of both worlds as it's a combi with an integrated storage tank that has something like 100L capacity. See if that meets your needs. If not, definitely get an unvented hot water cylinder. For a big house like this, you might also want to think about a secondary loop?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

Looks like the common recommendation is having a utility room and cutting back on the garage. I've never had a utility room before so this isn't something I'm familiar with. What's a sufficient size for the utility room (my boiler system will be in the loft)?

I've made some quick changes to the layout which includes a utility room from the kitchen and removing the shower. The garage space has also been cut back though I'm reluctant to cut anymore since we want the flexibility to turn this into a decent sized bedroom. Dimensions of the utility room are roughly 2.3m x 2m and the kitchen 5m x 3.5m (wall to wall excl. units).

Is something along the lines of what you're suggesting?

Floorplan v2.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Veissman do a very nice storage combi that might give you the best of both worlds as it's a combi with an integrated storage tank that has something like 100L capacity. See if that meets your needs. If not, definitely get an unvented hot water cylinder. For a big house like this, you might also want to think about a secondary loop?

Awesome, I'll have a look at all these options. Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, Ynned said:

my boiler system will be in the loft)

The downside of this is if you are going with a combi system, your hot water might take quite a while to get from your loft to your kitchen tap. Have a think about a place which is centrally located to all the most commonly used outlets. 

On 13/01/2022 at 17:25, Ynned said:

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

Looks like the common recommendation is having a utility room and cutting back on the garage. I've never had a utility room before so this isn't something I'm familiar with. What's a sufficient size for the utility room (my boiler system will be in the loft)?

I've made some quick changes to the layout which includes a utility room from the kitchen and removing the shower. The garage space has also been cut back though I'm reluctant to cut anymore since we want the flexibility to turn this into a decent sized bedroom. Dimensions of the utility room are roughly 2.3m x 2m and the kitchen 5m x 3.5m (wall to wall excl. units).

Is something along the lines of what you're suggesting?

Floorplan v2.png

I would double stack the Dryer and washer on the left and keep the right wall for the boiler and hot water cylinder (also water softener if required).

If possible door open outward into the kitchen would give your utility more usable. 

You may put in a capped drainage in the study for now in case you may retrofit a shower there in the future.

It looks fantastic