Permitted Development to Planning Permission

livingthedream

So been thrown into a bit of a spin in timings, and after some advise, I understand there is a very right way of doing things but wondered if this was viable as we need to commence works asap.

I understand that if I was to convert a car port into say an office or gym, games room etc, that it wouldn't require planning permission and can be done through permitted development. (car ports at the rear of the house, single storey)

Although our overall plan is to convert into an annex, is it possible to commence works under the permitted development, then apply for planning permission for a self contained annex?

The structure of the two would be identical, and i'm kind of seeing it, that until we get to the point of installing a kitchenette and en-suite etc, does it become an annex??

Anyone ever done this???

11 minutes ago, livingthedream said:

Anyone ever done this???

Yes. 

There are two ways to do it: right and wrong. @livingthedream could so easily become @livingthenightmare.

How much research have you done? I ask because I don't want to go over legislation that you already know about.  Here's a pointer to relevant help on Permitted Development

2 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

How much research have you done? I ask because I don't want to go over legislation that you already know about.  Here's a pointer to relevant help on Permitted Development

Hi, Sorry depends what you mean regarding research, are you saying i'm not right about converting a car port into an office or garden room without the need of planning permission?

You could indeed go about it that way. However, I have seen outbuildings with shower AND kitchen facilities be accepted via a CoL application. I’ve personally never done it as to me, that screams out self-contained. Outbuildings with toilet or shower facilities on their own are very common via PD.