Headroom under low beam

rsk

Hello all. I am designing a timber structure with a cross frame like the attached pic, ie. the frame crosses the internal space. I want to make the frame as low as possible while not impinging on headroom. According to the regs, how high does the lowest beam need to be at it's lowest point ie. where it joins the post? The rest of the ceiling is nice and high, 2.4m or more

frame.jpg

12 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

This has been discussed before.

i've read those discussions, but they deal with ceiling height, not beams. Wondered if there was different rules for occasional beams or spot heights. In some countries there is apparaently

3 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

The only minimum height referred to in the BR’s relates to headroom over stairs. Anywhere else, you can do what you like. It ends up coming down to practicality.

I s that really  all the regs say? minimum 2m over stairs, but once you're in the room , beams could be as low as, say, 1800??

If you wanted, but I don’t know why you would as it then starts to impact how you furnish the room. If you think about it, chalet bungalows or rooms in roof spaces with sloping ceilings have their perimeter wall heights ranging anything upwards of 900mm.

3 hours ago, rsk said:

beams could be as low as, say, 1800??

It is about banging your head and causing injury. therefore a sloping ceiling isn't going to do much damage but a beam would.

Rooms where there is movement should have 1800mm though, and common sense should apply.

The rules have been written by non-tall people, as 1.8m+ is very common.