On 26/01/2022 at 15:43, Thorfun said:

is a ground surveyor qualified to design a foundation system? I thought that was the remit of a structural engineer? I'd be questioning this foundation system and ensuring a structural engineer takes a look! Building control will need to see the structural calculations for the foundations as well, at least mine did.

We will be using a structural engineer for the final calculated foundation system, of course. The ground surveyor advised on the typical foundation system based on the build method, expected typical load of the TF building and ground conditions itself. I also think that many of the TF companies also provide a foundation design based on their specific construction methods anyway.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

I also think that many of the TF companies also provide a foundation design based on their specific construction methods anyway.

I think this is true if the TF company offer a foundation package, e.g. MBC. I would say that if the TF company is just supplying the timber frame and you've a separate Groundworker doing the foundations then the SE will design the foundations using the point loads supplied by the TF company. this is how it was for ours, although ours is a little more complicated due to the basement.

I think you need to decide what foundations you want to have as if you're set on a passive style insulated raft then get a structural engineer to design that for you (we used Tanners based in Ireland for ours which many others on here have too) and then you're not stuck with using what the TF company offers. but if you know for sure that you want a company like MBC to do your TF then maybe just get them to do the whole thing including the SE calcs. 

as I said previously there's a lot of decisions that effect other choices and it's very chicken and egg most of the time as you need to know the answer to one question to know the answer to another question but can't answer the first question until you know the answer to the second question etc!

54 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I think you need to decide what foundations you want to have as if you're set on a passive style insulated raft then get a structural engineer to design that for you (we used Tanners based in Ireland for ours which many others on here have too) and then you're not stuck with using what the TF company offers. but if you know for sure that you want a company like MBC to do your TF then maybe just get them to do the whole thing including the SE calcs. 

I think that is the approach we're going to take. I'm also pretty sure that as part of the overall 'design' that TF companies do to translate architect produced drawings into their own specific system structural calculations and a design has to be done by their engineers.

55 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

as I said previously there's a lot of decisions that effect other choices and it's very chicken and egg most of the time as you need to know the answer to one question to know the answer to another question but can't answer the first question until you know the answer to the second question etc!

Definately! Finding this a lot, especially as it's out first self build. I appreciate the advice given on here though, it's extremely helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/01/2022 at 15:52, thefoxesmaltings said:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick introduction to our project - we're doing our first self build and will be project managing ourselves.

We've got lot's to learn as we go, and so would love to connect with others who are also along the journey or recently completed. 

If you're interested in following our journey, we're documenting everything on instagram which has plans and more; our profile is here: @thefoxesmaltings

Below is a 3D render our architect produced of our project. If anyone has questions on any part of our process so far (securing planning in an AONB/Green belt etc.) feel free to ask and we'll help if we can.

House3DModified.png

Wow. This is a serious 'grand design'. Have just followed on instagram - project looks amazing, would love to build something like this. 

How long did planning take you out of interest and was it easy to achieve?

On 18/04/2022 at 07:36, Zmarie said:

Wow. This is a serious 'grand design'. Have just followed on instagram - project looks amazing, would love to build something like this. 

How long did planning take you out of interest and was it easy to achieve?

Planning total end to end was 4 years, but mostly handled by our architect. I'd be suprised if anyone told you it was easy to achieve planning under Paragraph 79 (Now 80) as there are some very strict (and quite vague) guidelines on what is a suitable proposal. 

I would recommend finding a great local architect who has a proven track record if success and/or planning consultant to assist.

• Like 1