ICF Foundations -

just in case you're not aware (or others reading this later) you need to use a non-solvent based product if applying on the EPS, eg the Triton product TT something which is a paint on waterproofing barrier as used by a few on here with ICF builds. Though I don't know if the BBA cert for any of them would cover use in this specific scenario. 

2 hours ago, Tosh said:

very true, Blackjack BBA cert covers use on insulation

I would be very careful with this and wouldn’t believe a word of it. 

I used the triton TT liquid which is very good, then being a tight arse I used a solvent free black jack type product, it looked ok for 4 months but has now started to eat into the eps, I have to cut it all back and remove the blackjack stuff. 

It really needs to be water based and not  bituminous  based. 

Pain in the arse lesson. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

@Russell griffiths that's very interesting, thanks. I didn't use it in the end but was planning to on another aspect of the job. Will look at the Triton instead. ?

Buy the triton, get two or three tubs as you can use it anywhere you want to make the block more airtight, window reveals and other stuff, you can also paint it on to get airtight tape to stick. Very little likes to stick to the eps. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Very little likes to stick to the eps.

so true...before we done our pour I tried taping up all the nibs on the top of the blocks to try and prevent concrete filling them up. I got some fibre reinforced tape which wasn't too bad, it did the job but was far from what I would say really sticking to the EPS.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Buy the triton, get two or three tubs as you can use it anywhere you want to make the block more airtight, window reveals and other stuff, you can also paint it on to get airtight tape to stick. Very little likes to stick to the eps. 

@Russell griffiths
what is this triton tub sounds something useful to have during ICF build to help stick onto the eps or xps presume both are difficult to stick to with tapes. 

17 hours ago, Susie said:

@Russell griffiths
what is this triton tub sounds something useful to have during ICF build to help stick onto the eps or xps presume both are difficult to stick to with tapes. 

Google triton gas and waterproofing materials, it’s a liquid paint on stuff used for waterproofing, but is also gas tight so good for methane and radon barrier. 

The company does loads of different products. 

With regards sticking stuff to icf, I had the SIGA rep come out and he applied primer and tape to our walls that worked really good, but it was far to expensive for the linear metres I had to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/01/2022 at 17:27, Russell griffiths said:

I have a major issue with icf onto an insulated slab, having built a house on a raft foundation we included a step at the edge, but seeing first hand how these are being built at the moment I really do not like the method of the flat slab with the icf sitting directly on the slab. 

There is a direct route for moisture to pass into the building at floor level. 

image.thumb.jpg.bc58151f5964fb1edd6fcc3310a9f2cc.jpg

see rough sketch. 

@IanMcP you need to be a bit careful using Nudura standard details, as it’s all a bit Canadian and needs adapting to suit your site. 

I assumed the shear weight of concrete in the wall helps slow the water ingress? On my build the ICF overhangs the insulated raft by 9mm, this is before the 10mm of render. The DPM laps over the top of the foundation insulation. Not had the rendering done yet, but assume there is a drip edge. They used PU foam when putting the blocks down, which I know is not water resistant. Perhaps I should use some TT Vapour Membrane paint along this edge. The good thing about EPS is that the water it absorbs, easily evaporates away, this is what makes it preferable to XPS. I don’t doubt that some water will ingress at this junction, but will it be substantial enough over the long term to cause issues?

image.jpeg

Edited by Nick Laslett

10 hours ago, Nick Laslett said:

I assumed the shear weight of concrete in the wall helps slow the water ingress? On my build the ICF overhangs the insulated raft by 9mm, this is before the 10mm of render. The DPM laps over the top of the foundation insulation. Not had the rendering done yet, but assume there is a drip edge. They used PU foam when putting the blocks down, which I know is not water resistant. Perhaps I should use some TT Vapour Membrane paint along this edge. The good thing about EPS is that the water it absorbs, easily evaporates away, this is what makes it preferable to XPS. I don’t doubt that some water will ingress at this junction, but will it be substantial enough over the long term to cause issues?

image.jpeg

If it's above ground, it really shouldn't get tested.  Prolonged hydrostatic pressure would be required.  The range of belt and braces options is huge.

• 2 months later...
On 14/01/2022 at 13:32, Russell griffiths said:

ED321D76-AF76-42E6-8E92-005AAA30D5D9.thumb.jpeg.24aa9201586417d3a4f648dd4e39e0fb.jpeg

@Russell griffiths is that the titon or the black jack ? what was the feedback for building control ? I'm at this stage now, wanting to lay first course, but can't get an answer on how to apply DP at this level. ... 

5 hours ago, IanMcP said:

@Russell griffiths is that the titon or the black jack ? what was the feedback for building control ? I'm at this stage now, wanting to lay first course, but can't get an answer on how to apply DP at this level. ... 

What do you want it to do. Dpc you shouldn’t need anything, use a waterproof additive in your concrete and your good to go. I used it for something completely different, just to keep bc happy. 
don’t use black Jack for anything, it’s bitumen based and will melt your blocks.