32mm laundry pipe

ash_scotland88

Got to love an old house!

Laundry room has old cast double butler sinks, the deep ones for hand washing laundry. These are on 32mm pipes and upgraded at some point to plastic.

Washer dryer used to drain by just hooking the hose over sink but we think the pump is beginning to struggle as it doesn't always fully drain and is above the 1m instruction manual height.

Looking for help to piece/buy an appliance trap/stand pipe to work on 32mm. My google-fu is weak this morning.

Obviously needs to screw into the bottom of the sink but then the rest of the pipes appear to be (loosely) push fit. And I can't find the correct parts to make it all work. I know what I need but struggling to find them if they exist.

Don't mind if it's all 32mm (thinking stand pipe) or uses size adapters (for the push fit hose connector).

Edited by ash_scotland88

This is what's currently there:

https://ibb.co/vhthpxN

Thinking I could cut out the down pipe to allow this to be inserted:

https://www.toolstation.com/solvent-weld-1350-branch/p45994

And then create my own stand pipe with other angles and 32mm pipe for the hose to sit in.

Only issue with that is the u bend and stand pipe become one big thing. But apart from once an age I don't foresee it being an issue.

42 minutes ago, ash_scotland88 said:

above sink, what part?

Any opening.

So the bottom standpipe would be up to the sink overflow level, which doesn't gain you anything compared to current, other than tidiness.

the under-sink version has 2 diameters on the hose connection, and should be standard.

What if there is no overflow? ?

Guessing the standpipe has to be above the overflow as if there is a reason for back flow (correct term?) then it'll come out of the overflow first instead of the standpipe, which is open and onto floor.

In that case am I then better to, again, cut into the 32mm ubend to fit a t-piece then jump sizes for a hose connector? If so what pieces am I best to use?

Get a washing machine saddle drain kit - basically it clamps onto your existing pipe, comes with a tool to drill it, clamps up and gives you a spigot for an appliance. 

Something like this (check sizes - this one will do 32mm): https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-drain-out-kit/75883?tc=IB4&ds_kid=92700055281954514&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=CjwKCAiAz--OBhBIEiwAG1rIOuiK91cRQElwKOv1jY3ZPU8g53_G_WA6lEV8otmElobXLBxm-1RxIxoCnGAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I installed one of these for a neighbour, sort of a temporary solution but it's not actually that bad as a long term solution either, quite well made and has an optional NRV built in.

Or, if you feel adventurous, remove a section of pipe, solvent weld in a T, and add a new waste, you get pipe end versions which are designed just to go onto the end of a waste pipe. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...