Main contractor vs Separate trades

Evening BuildHub,

I was after getting some views/advice from the community about employing separate trades when doing an extension. It’s going to be 65Sqm but with the quotes we’ve had back so far we’re going to have to work hard to break even.

I’m thinking of finding a bricklayer/general builder to get the shell up, including roof, fitting windows and screed downstairs floor. Also, to site the drainage and make these changes for soak away during the foundations.

Then, once the shells complete we would use the other trades we know and continue with first fix etc across the trades then manage to completion.

I was just interested if this was the stages other people  have broken down projects or any other approaches when using separate contractors?

Thank You! 

Edited by Shire2020

I used a main contractor (apart from the work I did myself) it was his responsibility to arrange subbies to fit with his timescales and quality, you might find trades people hard to find that fit with your timescales.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

you might find trades people hard to find that fit with your timescales.

+1 to that.  It can be hard to get trades lined up in the way a main contractor can, so the job takes longer and you will end up doing stuff yourself that falls between trades, that a 'general labourer' would usually do between fag breaks.  I built that way and it's hard work, but we saved a $h!t-load of money.

Thanks All, feels like I should continue looking for 1 Main contractor.

When we’ve renovated previously it was where we grew up so much easier as all my friends were the trades! 

Since we’ve moved we’ve got a great carpenter, electrician and roofer but not the others. 

I've renovated various places myself, but never to the extent of "self building" as such.

I'm about to get an extension job started soon, and I, like you, was thinking separate trades initially, as it works out more cost effective. (at least traditionally it did)

However, with recent events being as they are, and with any decent trades being booked to the eyeballs, you might be pushed to rope people in as you'd like. As has been mentioned above, there is a clear advantage to a single team under one contractor working on your project, but it does "usually" come at a bit of a premium. Saving cash is all well and good, but at what point do you say to yourself that "I'd willingly pay "x" over and above to have things completed to a specified timeframe" rather than encountering the sorts of problems that can come with trying to tie trades together. No matter how well you get your ducks lined up to get things sorted, you have far less control over individuals than you do over a team outfit. As I said, given a fair bit of consideration and after reading a lot of stuff on here, I decided that I'd rather get the job done in good time. Also, to as much as is realistically possible, mitigate against anyone deciding that they either cannot or will not continue on my project as planned, or for disagreements to occur between various individuals.

Of course, it does come down to available money in many ways, but if you can a tolerate the costs, then I know what sounds preferable to me and to most others. 

Edited by Makeitstop

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your advice.

We’ve short listed 3 main contractors now and are hoping to have all quotes through within the next week or so and then can make a final decision.

Unsurprisingly a couple of the good ones we spoke to are fully booked for 18 months. 

If financially these can’t work, we know we’ll be working with individual trades. Fingers crossed!