Carpet before built in wardrobes?

Moggaman

Hi. I will have a concrete screed upstairs with either carpet or timber flooring on that. I will be putting in built in wardrobes in all bedrooms and hoped to do it in my own time. Is the carpet normally put in first and the wardrobes built on the carpet or the other way around?. 

2 minutes ago, Moggaman said:

Hi. I will have a concrete screed upstairs with either carpet or timber flooring on that. I will be putting in built in wardrobes in all bedrooms and hoped to do it in my own time. Is the carpet normally put in first and the wardrobes built on the carpet or the other way around?. 

If timber flooring, lay the flooring first as it will give you better isolation between floors. Then build your wardrobe on top.

Don't know about carpets, but i suspect you don't lay carpet under a wardrobe as when you come to change the carpet in 10 years' time that would be awkward.

I would do all the built in stuff first, then floor covering.  Floor covering are replacable, if they are under built in stuff it a pain to change out.  The built in wardrobes would normally be in place for ever, so floor covering butts up to them..

24 minutes ago, TonyT said:

You have to watch when screwing timber down on top of a carpet, seen many screw grab a thread in the carpet and pull it, ruining the carpet.

Been there, done that and got an earful from er indoors, I would build anything first then carpet around/in it.

24 minutes ago, TonyT said:

You have to watch when screwing timber down on top of a carpet, seen many screw grab a thread in the carpet and pull it, ruining the carpet.

It may sound silly but you can avoid that using a sharp drill bit to drill a pilot hole through the carpet.

Wardrobe solid to the floor, then carpet built into it. I'm an amateur but have managed to lay carpet into walk-in wardrobe, all in one piece. Easier to cut and put  a threshold on though.

I can't see any advantage in building on the carpet as it will be trashed under the wardrobe walls.

Wardrobes before carpet if you can, but definitely not on top of.  I put some wardrobes in slow-time (like, 2 years after moving in...), so we'd already carpeted the room to make it 'finished'.  Roll carpet back, take up grippers, remove skirting, build wardrobe, refit grippers and carpet.  Wasted a bit of carpet, but it was better than having a part/un-carpeted room for a couple of years.