Current RHI dilemma

On 13/02/2022 at 18:56, ReedRichards said:

Maybe you should post a new specific question about Acond in case not every Acond owner cares to read about someone with an RHI dilemma?  It would help if you could identify which other brand names Acond units are sold under.  

GOOD CALL

I had my heat pump serviced a few days ago by the engineer who installed it.  He said that heat pumps are in very short supply at present, stuck at the port, waiting for chips to complete the build etc. etc.  I think any notion that there is still time to order one and get it installed before the RHI deadline will prove to be wrong.  It's unfortunate for the OP but he who hesitates.... 

3 hours ago, ReedRichards said:

I had my heat pump serviced a few days ago by the engineer who installed it.  He said that heat pumps are in very short supply at present, stuck at the port, waiting for chips to complete the build etc. etc.  I think any notion that there is still time to order one and get it installed before the RHI deadline will prove to be wrong.  It's unfortunate for the OP but he who hesitates.... 

according to the company they have them in stock. I will go and see it first as if no RHI I’m not interested 

1 hour ago, Chriswills said:

Does it do your hot water? Do you have a buffer tank? What’s the app like. 

My installation has the 12kW F2040 about 500mm off the side of the house. I then have around 14m of pre-insulated, Dia 32mm twin duct bringing the heated water under my slab and up into the house + a further approx 9m of insulated 32mm pipe continuing the route up to the 1st floor storage area. That 23m pipe run is far more than the suggested 10m limit, so I took care with insulating this pipe to reduce heat loss.

I then have a 200l buffer for space heating and cooling via UFH and a 500l UVC for hot water. I have the SMO40 controller and MODBUS link. Flow temps are run at 50°C for hot water, 33°C for space heating and 12.5° for cooling.

The ASHP App requires a subscription to allow any control, and then I don't know what you get to control. Without a subscription it gives you the current status and a month's history data, which is reasonably handy.

If you want a "Smart" heating App, that would be from the Smart Thermostat you went with. I have the ASHP and UFH manifolds linked up to my Loxone HA, via the MODBUS link (for the ASHP), and Loxone has an excellent App, in my view.

The 12kW F2040 has no problem supplying hot water to the 500l UVC for our family of 5, we've never been short of hot water in 5 years. For space heating the 12kW unit is oversized for my heat loss, but the buffer stops any short cycling.

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chriswills said:

Because it’s worth £11400 over 7 years and pays for the instal plus some cash. 

If you max out the payments. If you’ve decent insulation / windows etc then your EPC will be better and you may only get 50% of that money, or even less as you move towards ‘eco’ credentials. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

If you max out the payments. If you’ve decent insulation / windows etc then your EPC will be better and you may only get 50% of that money, or even less as you move towards ‘eco’ credentials. 

Or get a crap epc from a guy who doesn’t understand anything - so lowers the epc ?

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

not had my epc yet but we built the house same time as next door and based on theirs its £11400 RHI.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2022 at 13:59, Chriswills said:

Because it’s worth £11400 over 7 years and pays for the instal plus some cash. 

And now doesn't, £14.2k install, to get £10.7k back.  So based on your own basis for having it installed it doesn't stack up.

5 hours ago, ReedRichards said:

Your installers may be  telling you otherwise but I think you will find you are too late.  Any heat pump installer that isn't overloaded with work this month surely can't be very good.

Not too late. I’m OK from that point of view. 

Bit the bullet and paid the deposit. Having a Nibe F20 12KW ASHP, new 300 litre solar cylinder, new pump station, completely new piping as my old pipe work is shoddy to say the least, new UFH manifold and wiring centre, flush and fill to heating system and solar. Full RHI payment of £10,900 over 7 years. Cost for all this £14,500.

I think for a total investment of £3600 its a no brainer. 

Anyone want to buy my existing ASHP and solar cylinder?

Well done! I'll be fascinated to see how the next 2 weeks play out for you. I think ours was 9 months from deposit to RHI approved.

Post regular updates 🙂 

Edited by joth

On 14/03/2022 at 20:45, Chriswills said:

Bit the bullet and paid the deposit. Having a Nibe F20 12KW ASHP, new 300 litre solar cylinder, new pump station, completely new piping as my old pipe work is shoddy to say the least, new UFH manifold and wiring centre, flush and fill to heating system and solar. Full RHI payment of £10,900 over 7 years. Cost for all this £14,500.

I think for a total investment of £3600 its a no brainer. 

Anyone want to buy my existing ASHP and solar cylinder?

See if changing a few radiators can lower the design flow temp, as that will increase the SCOP and hencd increase the RHI. But getting that all done in two weeks is going to be stressful imho 

8 hours ago, J1mbo said:

See if changing a few radiators can lower the design flow temp, as that will increase the SCOP and hencd increase the RHI. But getting that all done in two weeks is going to be stressful imho 

How is the RHI affected now as I have had the EPC and the payback figures. Are you able to alter it?