Current RHI dilemma

I am currently having some issues with my ASHP....see other posts......which is about 12 years old and was wondering what you guys think of replacing it before the RHI runs out in March.

I have been asking a reputable local company for quotes on a new ASHP, they have come back with a Master Therm unit at a cost of approx £8500 incl installation (tbc on site visit). They have calculated an RHI over 7 years at £10,850.

Is it time to bite the bullet and go for it, safeguarding my RHI or just stay with what I have?

Whats your opinion?

1 minute ago, Chriswills said:

I never had any RHI to begin with.....long story

Does the rest of your install and house meet MCS requirements, so that RHI can be applied for. If so, then I'd do it.

2 minutes ago, IanR said:

Does the rest of your install and house meet MCS requirements, so that RHI can be applied for. If so, then I'd do it.

As far as I know yes, just awaiting a site visit.

How far through the system does the MCS go, is it from the ASHP to the buffer only, or the whole system?

Any links to specs required?

They also check the emitters are correctly sized for the calculated heat loss for the house, and the ASHP is correctly matched. Your house of course also need to be EPC C or better.
Sorry, no MCS spec to hand.

Edited by IanR

I’m not sure the house has to be EPC C or better to claim RHI. 
You do however need an EPC that is less than 2 years old and does not recommend further cavity wall or loft insulation. 

3 hours ago, IanR said:

They also check the emitters are correctly sized for the calculated heat loss for the house, and the ASHP is correctly matched. Your house of course also need to be EPC C or better.
Sorry, no MCS spec to hand.

55 minutes ago, Luke1 said:

I’m not sure the house has to be EPC C or better to claim RHI. 
You do however need an EPC that is less than 2 years old and does not recommend further cavity wall or loft insulation. 

I may well have mis-remembered. I had it i my mind the FIT was EPC D or better and RHI C or better, but having just looked up the rules I can't see anything beyond how you have expressed it.

7 hours ago, Chriswills said:

I have been asking a reputable local company for quotes on a new ASHP, they have come back with a Master Therm unit at a cost of approx £8500 incl installation (tbc on site visit). They have calculated an RHI over 7 years at £10,850. Is it time to bite the bullet and go for it, safeguarding my RHI or just stay with what I have?

Perhaps I'm missing something but this question seems to be, "shall I get a brand new heat pump and free money"

• 2 weeks later...

Having just had my quote through, it goes something like this:

New heatpump (PRO-R model and link below) with new 300 litre solar cylinder. This time I want the solar to be utilised for heating too and not just a stand alone hot water unit. Full accreditation and lots of other bits to bring it all up to spec.....cost is £14,000. Estimated RHI over 7 years is £11,400.

https://acond.com/

Whats your opinion? I dont know much about these pumps but are meant to be good...company is very reputable, I know a lot about them and the personnel. 

So overall Im thinking £2600 for a new setup?

For me its kinda now or never, as after RHI finishes in April, I wont be able to get anymore grants.

Alternative is to keep what I got, being 12yr old and hope it will all last!

Edited by Chriswills

On 07/01/2022 at 09:16, Chriswills said:

I have been asking a reputable local company for quotes on a new ASHP, they have come back with a Master Therm unit at a cost of approx £8500 incl installation (tbc on site visit).

3 hours ago, Chriswills said:

New heatpump (PRO-R model and link below) with new 300 litre solar cylinder. This time I want the solar to be utilised for heating too and not just a stand alone hot water unit. Full accreditation and lots of other bits to bring it all up to spec.....cost is £14,000. Estimated RHI over 7 years is £11,400.

The cost has gone up quite a bit if the basic heat pump is still £8,500.

10 hours ago, Chriswills said:

Yes you are correct, ended up with a long list of other parts needed, together with UFH flushing, solar flushing etc

Is this expensive?

seems a little pricey. have you tried another company who offer a different brand of ASHP? I always get 3 quotes for comparison but you don't mention if you have or not.

also, you've not mentioned the size of heat pump you require/already have.

It seems a little expensive but it's impossible to say without knowing all the other parts (and even then I probably could not price those myself).  It's just that you have moved some way beyond getting a "free" heat pump because it would cost less that the RHI.

At this late stage an important consideration must be whether it can be delivered and installed in time for the RHI deadline.    

^^ definitely as above. The price of these systems will likely come down dramatically over the next year or two, but that will be offset somewhat by inflation. The system are R290 based but I've not heard of the vendor before. Something to consider is what controls are going to the attached to it. Does it provide flow control based on weather compensation (reduces running cost) and room temperature (increases responsiveness) for example. Does it provide proper integration with your solar systems? Is there a phone app and has this been updated any time recently? Is the sizing consistent with what's already there? How long is the warranty on it?

At 12 years it's definitely running overtime and the figures don't look too outrageous to me provided it's a quality product with at least 7 years warranty (to match the RHI) and can *definitely* be installed, commissioned, and logged with the RHI before the deadline. Also check it is MCS accredited obviously.

Thankyou so much for all the feedback, some answers to the questions as below:

1. System can be controlled over the net via an app Im told, trying to find out about it.........

2. Weather comp included against room temp controlled

3. Yes can integrate with solar and use the solar to warm the house too and vice versa.

4. Pump size is 3Kwh to 18Kwh, I currently have a 11Kwh system

5. 7 year warranty on the system

6. Company is local,  know them well, used on electric panels. MCS registered and can be done before the deadline

7. Price with no new solar cylinder is £13,270 (RHI £9,900). I asked to get this changed as 1...I have a 210 litre now but its no good for this size house and 2....I want integration to the ASHP.

8. I have attached the quote for you guys to see.

ASHP quote.pdf

1 hour ago, Chriswills said:

As a matter of interest what is the best EPC rating to have which will pay the most RHI payments?

EPC F I guess? So long as it says no improvements (loft or cavity insulation) are needed. It's a function of heating demand, so the bigger the house and the worse it is insulated, the higher the payments.

Against that, having a low design flow temperature on the MCS certificate also increases payments, and a bad EPC is going to lead to a high flow temperature needed, so maybe in practice there's a sweet spot around EPC D somewhere but it'll vary on the specifics of the build.

On 25/01/2022 at 12:04, Chriswills said:

Also I now have a comparison chart against some leading models....or so Im told!

Here's another comparison table - quite useful -> https://www.boilerguide.co.uk/air-source/best-air-source-heat-pump-manufacturers.   (Not sure if this has been updated recently though.)

And something from a supplier (I think), so less independent -> https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/air-source-heat-pumps/reviews

Simon

4 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I still can't get my head round what people are will to pay for a heat pump. Pricing is stupid expensive.

Cost £14k, RHI £12k, cost £2k.

Compared to eg new oil system with tank. Cost maybe £8k, RHI £nil.

For those that have access to the capital, RHI has made it a no brainier.