Vanity worktop materials

Vijay

I need to choose a material for the vanity unit top in my parents shower room. It'll be approx 1800x320, have a sink set in and possibly the toilet flush plate. I'm a bit put off the normal laminate stuff as I've seen it peel in shower rooms.

Any suggestions on a good quality material that will last that I would maybe be able to do the cutouts myself if possible?

Cheers

Vijay

You can try stonemasonrys and fabricators that deal with kitchen worktops. They usually have a lot of quartz offcuts available you maybe able to get at a good price. Most companies are working with jumbo slabs that are 3200x1600mm. Once you cut two runs or worktops averaging 600mm or so, you are usually left with a strip of 3200x350mm-400mm at the bottom of the slab. Unless it is being used for upstands, window sills and so on, it would usually go into the skip or piled with other offcuts. I would perhaps get the cutouts done by the professionals too unless it is something simple like a tap or waste cut out. Polished cutouts (visible) cost more than rough (non-visible). Quartz is also a good material as it's non-porous too and does not require any re-sealing ever.