Suggestions required

Stones

A very minor issue - 

We have lead covered 'skews' as our gable verges, made up from a series of overlapping lead sheets (to allow expansion and contraction). 

Unfortunately, one of the overlaps is positioned directly above one of our bedroom windows, and in certain weather conditions, water runs to the underside of the overlap and drips down onto the aluminium window cill. Typically this happens at night, and without any bulk to the cill, the noise of the drip hitting the cill is transmitted very loudly. Its very annoying as its otherwise very very quiet inside, the prevailing weather, be it wind or rain almost impossible to detect unless you look out the window.

As a short term measure I can put something on the cill to absorb the drip but ideally a more permanent and aesthetically pleasing solution is required. I had wondered about a bead of silicone on the underside of the skew to let any water track onto the cladding and run off that way. Any other suggestions?

IMG_20170423_105712.thumb.jpg.92bddb4de61211cb7058e17b7cc601ba.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but the underside of the Kytun dry verge we fitted has a shallow drip bead that encourages water to run down the underside of the verge, rather than drip off.  A smooth bit of lead sealant, to remove as much as possible of the lip at the joint, as @Onoff suggests, would almost certainly do as good a job.

FWIW, we have a similar problem with rain drops dripping from the top of the French windows on to the allow cill.  It makes a surprising loud noise inside the house, and I'm looking to see if I can find a way to stop it, too.

17 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Jason, knock the house down and start again.

I would, but the prospect of explaining the reason why to SWMBO...

As suggested, smoothing off the 'step' seems to be the first thing to try.  I'll pick up some sealant tomorrow and report back in due course.

12 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

FWIW, we have a similar problem with rain drops dripping from the top of the French windows on to the allow cill.  It makes a surprising loud noise inside the house, and I'm looking to see if I can find a way to stop it, too.

The window itself seems to amplify the noise doesn't it?   I doubt we would even be aware of it if we had concrete cills, 

We had a similar detail issue. In my case I am wanting to avoid all exposed woodwork, and eventually the fascias will be clad with aluminium.

On my gable end, the verge cloak fittings were not quite large enough to cover all the wood, so I fitted a plastic drip bead to keep any blown water off the wood, but it has the effect of making the water run down the drip bead rather than drip off (that detail is irellevant for me, as long as it keeps it off the wood)

verge_detail_2.thumb.jpg.85e66ca1a4db30404c05f4b1cbab0ae3.jpg

This photo was taken before the cladding and render were fitted. The drip bead is just a strip of plastic fitted before the cloaks went on. The under side of the timber is still exposed but that has now been treated but it never gets wet anyway (thanks to the drip bead)