New Garage Build

smart70

Thank you for the comment. I designed the concrete base/pin myself. The concrete is stepped, the lower step is 320 mm deep and the upper step which helps support the footing is 420 mm deep. The form work used for the first concrete base will be used again as a jig to construct the other concrete base/pins. The upper step form will be modified so that it offset by 100 mm, as it was tricky placing in the concrete for the first base/pin.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

The underpinning/ concrete base has now been completed. Altogether there were 6 holes/forms to fill with concrete .It takes 7 days for the concrete to fully harden so the whole process took 6 weeks. The next part will be to construct a raised brick garden bed, it will be one brick thick and 5 courses high.

garage 34.jpg

garage 35.jpg

Edited by smart70

Lovely neat job!

I chuckled at 6 weeks though. While it does take 7 days for concrete to reach a decent proportion of it's design (28 day) strength, you'd have been OK just leaving 48 hours between working on adjacent pins, and you could have done hit & miss pins at each end, so long as 25% of the length wall wasn't simultaneously undermined. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Have made a few modifications to the garage. 

1. As there was little light getting into the garage I have installed a window. I was surprised how easily they are to install given the right equipment and tools. Watching a few 'how to' videos on the internet helped immensely.

2. The recent downpour created a large pool of water inside the garage. To solve this I cut a channel at the entrance to divert any rainwater. One of the tools I used was a 9 inch angle grinder. Don't really like using it because of the risk factor however it does the job a lot quicker.

3. In case there is a rainwater leakage in the future, I have inserted an outlet pipe into the side of the garage.

Garage 36.jpg

Garage 37.jpg

Garage 38.jpg

• 6 months later...