gym flooring - LVT?

Adam2

Looking into flooring options for  room that is approx a 4m x 7m rectangle that will be shared use as a study & gym. probably 1/3 as study area. For the study space I was planning on porcelain tiles to match other rooms (~20mm total thickness inc adhesive). For the gym area I'm not sure what to do. There will be a mix of equipment, rowing erg, bike, weights rack etc. I hadn't considered LVT previously but this seems to be gaining in popularity. It does seem to be a bit thin though and may mark with the weight of equipment? I guess I could use some additional rubber matting below the weight rack area to avoid damage. I'm quite liking the LVT idea as could easily (?) replace any damaged sections, easy to clean and may provide some minor cushioning + lots of style choice.

A few questions

1) Floor base is concrete + UFH in a 55mm cement based liquid screed - do you just apply the LVT direct to the screed or is there a separate layer? A separate layer may help make up the height difference with the adjacent tiles but would of course add to cost

2) Can you get thick LVT  I can only seem to find up to 8mm thick

3) Is this OK over UFH in a screed?

8 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

Do you want dry back (bonded to floor) or floating type lvt?

Not sur really - this LVT is v new to me - I only have bad distant memories of dodgy kitchen lino!

The floor base is a liquid screed and appears very flat though I can check it out and maybe a 10mm levelling screed could help even up the thicknesses between LVT and the tiles in other area.

personally i would put rubber gym matting type flooring down. the thick stuff like they use in stables for horses, so that you dont have to worry about damaging it. 

my conservatory has become my gym now and it has ceramic tiles ? so im just waiting till one gets broken.

8 minutes ago, gaz_moose said:

personally i would put rubber gym matting type flooring down. the thick stuff like they use in stables for horses, so that you dont have to worry about damaging it. 

my conservatory has become my gym now and it has ceramic tiles ? so im just waiting till one gets broken.

Yes that's the default choice but in the past I've had this and it's a bit of a dust trap and hard to keep looking nice and also not very nice to look at/only in black hence trying to find a suitable alternative 

8 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

a company called bigdug sell the foam square ones in different colours. 

id be tempted to use carpet tiles as they are fairly easy to replace if you ruin one or two, although they are not very impact absorbant.

Thanks yes agree re carpet tiles