45 degree rule plot adjoining corner plot

Onacrame

Attached is a crude drawing on my situation. My plot is the plot in yellow and I’m currently adjacent to the corner plot and the corner plot sits at an angle on the plot facing the corner itself.  I’ve marked the nearest habitable window of the corner plot.  I’m hoping to do a rear double story extension of 4-5 meters which if you take the 45 degree rule literally would encroach on the 45 degree line.  We would not be able to do much extending at all if we had to observe the 45 degree rule in this situation.

The 45 degree rule normally contemplates that properties are sitting on the same plane facing the same road.  In this case that’s not the case given how the corner house sits on the plot.

Anyone have any thoughts on how planners would look at this.  I cannot find any information about the applicability of the rule in this type of situation.

4287C287-4EE1-47C6-AA57-2FFF60D95220.jpeg

Edited by Onacrame

Which way is south? As I recall the 45 degree rule is/was an attempt to recognise the Right To Light Act without all the complications implied by the Act. The Act still stands and can trump planning permission but its complex to enforce. 

Have you checked through the tech guide on permitted development?..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/permitted-development-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance

You might be allowed a 3m two storey extension under permitted development (no planning permission required) but see the 7m from a fence rule on Page 21.

Yes the houses are detached the distance between my house and the corner plot house is 3.5 with a fence at 1.75 meters from the respective buildings

I’ve added where South is on the drawing.

We would be okay on the 7 meter rule for permitted development but we would exceed the 3 meter limit on double story extension so this would definitely be a planning situation.

B9F64453-DB31-44F9-8FB0-EAE8F5A65C9C.jpeg

If your diagram is anything like accurate, then your house already breaks the 45 degree rule or if not would certainly do so if extended 3m.

I very much doubt a 7m extension will get permission, it would mean that next door have an awful outlook, but the only way to know would be to try!