How the hell do you get the damn thing off!

So the mission to take the screen off and reseal the tray as we have a leak where water is running from the skirting and I believe it's due to an incorrectly fitted screen thanks @Nickfromwales

Removed silicone inside, removed bar, removed silicone on outside. It's still stuck!

How the hell do you get the glass off the tray?

IMG_20220102_123853.thumb.jpg.d614596e15eb94a969085fd2bba63461.jpg

Does it come out with the metal bit against the shoerwall, e.g. is the glass sealed into that or is there a knack.

IMG_20220102_124344.thumb.jpg.1fc298140d5d76aafed014d31f7b9821.jpg

The bottom bit is moving but nothing else!

There should be three or four self tapping screws on the cubicle side of the Chanel Covered with a plastic or metal cap 

Flick these off and remove the screws 

You should’ve able to pull it forward 

5 minutes ago, nod said:

There should be three or four self tapping screws on the cubicle side of the Chanel Covered with a plastic or metal cap

Dunno nod,  looks like the screws might be entirely inside the channel - glass pushed in after covering them up.

Is it just friction fit in the soft plastic grips in the channel?

If so, Silicone spray the heck out of it would be my suggestion before levering it out (carefully). WD40 is mostly silicone but also has oils.

6 minutes ago, nod said:

Flick these off and remove the screws 

You should’ve able to pull it forward 

Not sure that’s right, that’s the case where the glass has a channel fixed to it and it slides into another channel fixed to the wall. From that picture the ally is fixed to the wall and the glass is pushed into the channel and held by the clear gasket stuff. Just more brute force I suspect but glass is difficult to grab hold of. Anyone else?

16 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I see the glass is fitted into the metal channel but how on earth do we get the glass out of it.

With great difficulty! In mine, the frame was pre-fitted to the screen and it would take a lot of force to remove it, probably damaging the channel or shattering the glass.

Why do the you think this is the problem? When I had a leak, I found that the installer had sealed the inside of the channel which you shouldn’t do. The idea is that the frame needs to drain into the shower because it can fill with water no matter how well you try to seal it.

It's off - there was a plastic seal!

IMG_20220102_132829.thumb.jpg.231c8f066dfae0ddb634ce9e304f955d.jpg

I'm a bit confused really as I didn't see any silicone inside to be honest but but we were getting water that appeared to be on the skirting (you can see the mark) and the opinion was it was water getting trapped in the channel.

IMG_20220102_133640.thumb.jpg.9fb3ded7b659ab4fca6d5369403c7f7e.jpg

Do I now need to also remove the metal channel to see if there is any water or sealant in there before putting everything back and resealing? 

It's off - there was a plastic seal!

IMG_20220102_132829.thumb.jpg.231c8f066dfae0ddb634ce9e304f955d.jpg

I'm a bit confused really as I didn't see any silicone inside to be honest but but we were getting water that appeared to be on the skirting (you can see the mark) and the opinion was it was water getting trapped in the channel.

IMG_20220102_133640.thumb.jpg.9fb3ded7b659ab4fca6d5369403c7f7e.jpg

Do I now need to also remove the metal channel to see if there is any water or sealant in there before putting everything back and resealing? 

I would, remove the screws and pull the Chanel off, . When the Ali  and wall are cleaned off, silicone to the back of the Channel and screw it back to the wall cleaning off any silicone squeezed out. Replace glass and push the “gasket” back in. ?

Edited by joe90

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I would, remove the screws and pull the Chanel off, . When the Ali  and wall are cleaned off, silicone to the back of the Channel and screw it back to the wall cleaning off any silicone squeezed out. Replace glass and push the “gasket” back in. ?

It's all off unscrewed completely now.

I'm going to clean everything today. Then tomorrow CT1 clear around tray corners where it meets showerwall, let it dry then Forever White over top around tray (only the sides against wall). Then screw channel back on, put back on glass and CT1 clear on OUTSIDE ONLY none elsewhere inside. Hopefully then this will solve everything....

• Like 1