Velux position

Coopers

Hi folks. Sorry to use brand name, but that's why we are having. I've spent a week stressing over these veluxes being set too high. The position was agreed with the builder but of course we have to live with it if it's wrong. 

The other half tells me that they couldn't go any lower, but i am sure that they could have sat lower down , at the top of the wall. What do you think?

It's a cut roof and i know it will take a lot of work to reconfigure 4 windows, but worth it, yes?

IMG_20170421_194447.jpg

Any chance of a slightly wider shot ..? Just looking at what appears to be four joists sistered up and can't see how the roof is made up. 

You could come below that wall  if you really wanted to but you may need a toughened or laminated panel for BRegs. 

Are any of those means of escape windows ..?

17 minutes ago, Stones said:

What are you trying to achieve? We fitted ours so we could comfortably look out and take in the view when seated. 

14928506464491464964410.thumb.jpg.29390f085f5b44b72b3e45558da30cec.jpg

In our case the bottom of the window is 800mm off the floor.

800 being the level below which you have to fit expensive special glass I think, but iirc is below 1100 so counts as a fire escape window. I am not sure whether 800 gets you caught or not.

My replacement picture window starts at 810mm on the LBB just to be sure.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

My windows are at 1800mm from floor to bace of glass, i wanted them to act as a way of letting light in  but still provide privacy for the rooms occupants, the view was not a consideration, however it took me a long time to get there placement correct so that they looked good in the roof from outside......  

Bottom of opening is aporox   147cm . The handle will be about 210 cm from floor. 

Two windows in bathroom and the other on a study-landing. 

Edit and no they are not MOE Windows.

Edited by Coopers

At the very least, choose a window with the handle at the bottom, e.g a top swung Velux?

The other issue with small (short) windows like that, is if you lower the bottom of the window, you might then bang your head on the top of the recess.  Stones solved that by having nice tall windows so you get the view low down, but there is still head height clearance.

At this stage, probably the easiest solution is replace the windows with taller ones. Then the top can stay where it is and the joiners just have to cut some of the rafters and re frame the bottom. A lot easier than keeping the same size and moving it down.

I cannot see why it is *impossible* rather than *difficult*.

From here it appears that you would need to prop and chop some of the structure, then replace with your desired option.

What are the reasons why you are being told "no"? Is it because of structural impossibility, planning requirements, time it would take before the next trade is due, trying to save you money, fixed price contract, your workers have another job and need to finish etc?

Knowing that might help.

Ferdinand

I'm told that it's structurally difficult, but it wasn't me that had the conversation with the builder. They are paid by the day so no issues there and I'm happy to pay to have it just right.

This is the base of the window . If lowered it will sit just on the side wall. Astrium wall is that what they call it?

IMG_20170422_110424.jpg

Edited by Coopers

i'm presuming the wall will be clad in ply? and therefore be structural. if so the calcs would be for that height which could make it more awkward. is there a reason not to run the rafters in one length rather than bolting short ones together? i see no reason why it shouldn't be lowered other than inconvenience to se and more expense! as with @ProDave, if the windows haven't yet been bought, go for longer ones. 

9 hours ago, Coopers said:

If lowered it will sit just on the side wall. Astrium wall is that what they call it?

Then it looks like it can go lower but the sill detail will change and you will, as others have said, need to sort the structural stuff around the move out with your SE.