Walk in shower

Moggaman

And another vote for wall panels. I have used expensive 9mm ply panels with a facing, down to cheap 200mm wide plastic, 6mm thick panels. Both gave excellent results. Panels available have defo moved on from that mobile home in the 80's look.  Dont get me wrong, i love a good tiling job, but i just hate grout.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

i love a good tiling job,

In theory I like panels, but the cutting of openings is scary, which it isn't with tiles.

Measure 5 times, get a second opinion, cut once. If wrong then it is an expensive mistake.

With tiles there may be many tiles to cut for the pipe holes but the measuring is easy and the risk is low.

Or is it not so bad for panels? I have only done it once for a kitchen back-board with multiple sockets to cut, and 'got away with it'.

We have lots to do so I'd prefer panels if convinced. What is best for backing?

18 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

n theory I like panels, but the cutting of openings is scary, which it isn't with tiles.

Measure 5 times, get a second opinion, cut once. If wrong then it is an expensive mistake.

What openings are you talking about?

All ours had to be cut to fit the sloping ceiling line of a room in roof bathroom, then the cut outs for shower controls and shower heads etc.  I found it best to template it first for each panel with large sheets of cardboard.  Get it right with the cardboard then mark out the actual panels.

• Like 1

Generally easier to find the centre of the wall mark a vertical and horizontal line with a spirit level, then take measurements to outer edges and pipe centres.

transpose these dimensions onto the wet wall, by doing the same starting from the centre mark

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nod said:

Generally plastered or boarded  

I thought it was bad practice to tile onto plaster?  This issue came up on my build this week when the plasterers plastered the bathrooms and in one bathroom they plastered two walls which are due to be tiled floor to ceiling. I thought it was a mistake, as i thought tiles need something more solid than plaster, and if the grout were ever to fail, it risks the plaster getting wet and failing.

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

I thought it was bad practice to tile onto plaster?  This issue came up on my build this week when the plasterers plastered the bathrooms and in one bathroom they plastered two walls which are due to be tiled floor to ceiling. I thought it was a mistake, as i thought tiles need something more solid than plaster, and if the grout were ever to fail, it risks the plaster getting wet and failing.

I would always prefer to tile directly onto plasterboard Without it being skimmed 

But many builders prefer the walls to be skinned Red Row Willmott Dixon etc 

There only an issue when the tiles are very heavy Think from memory about 5kg m2 difference between skimmed and plasterboard 

But when the tiles are so heavy We use sand and cement and cement board 

Or go directly onto the block work 

25 minutes ago, nod said:

prefer to tile directly onto plasterboard

For my own (and family) house I will always now use Aquapanel or Hardybacker. As an amateur it was very good to work with (both fixing it and tiling) , plus I know there is a waterproof layer if the grout or silicon  fails.

I found Hardybacker easier to work with, than Aquapanel.

18 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

to get a slightly longer bath in it.

But you will use more hot water and energy ?‍♂️, only joking, do you have a 1500mm bath? (I hate them unless only showering over one).

32 minutes ago, joe90 said:

you have a 1500mm bath? (I hate them unless only showering over one).

Not measured it properly, but it feels cramped, and as you know, I am only 6 foot 2 inches tall.

May combine it with some rainwater harvesting. I am sure seagulls shit only smells slightly of herring.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

But you will use more hot water and energy ?‍♂️, only joking, do you have a 1500mm bath? (I hate them unless only showering over one).

1800mm bath here. 800mm wide. I'm sure it'll be very nice if ever I have enough hot water to fill it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm sure it'll be very nice if ever I have enough hot water to fill it.

Costs me less to heat the water than pay for the sewage when I pull the plug.

Have I ever mentioned how expensive water is in Cornwall, the most expensive in the country.

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Have I ever mentioned how expensive water is in Cornwall,

Many times, unfair tho with so much rain in our part of the world, perhaps you could instal rainwater harvesting