Where is the kWh price heading in 2022?

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

No wonder you can't read it, I get not found.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea why this information is so difficult to find out, or even calculate! The previous figures are widely reported as approximately

- 4p per kilowatt hour (p/kWh) for gas

- 21p/kWh for electricity

- A standing charge of 26p per day for gas

- A standing charge of 25p per day for electricity

So if you evenly apply the headline 54% increase you would get ~6p for gas and ~ 32p for electricity. However, I would assume the rise for gas is likely slightly higher than for electric, so who knows...

Buried halfway down the ofgem press release 

'https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/price-cap-increase-ps693-april

'From 1 April the equivalent per unit level of the price cap to the nearest pence for a typical customer paying by direct debit will be 28p per kWh for electricity customers and 7p per kWh for gas customers'

Some interesting graphs lower down too that suggest it will be going up much more next time unless wholesale prices come back down fast. 

• Thanks 1

It's all here https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/price-cap-increase-ps693-april

"From 1 April the equivalent per unit level of the price cap to the nearest pence for a typical customer paying by direct debit will be 28p per kWh for electricity customers and 7p per kWh for gas customers"

So about 37% rise in electricity and about 90% rise in gas prices.

There is also talk of £200 off each bill as a loan from the government to be repaid later by the energy companies, it will be interesting to see how that works out.  And a council tax rebate for band A to D properties averaging £150 .  Damn ours is band E

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

What about non DD customers?

After a quick scan I cannot see it.

You will have to wait and see.  And what about regional variations, we have one of the highest "distribution charges" up here so I expect our new cap will be higher than estimated 28p

Perhaps someone somewhere will compile a table.

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There is also talk of £200 off each bill as a loan from the government to be repaid later by the energy companies, it will be interesting to see how that works out.  And a council tax rebate for band A to D properties averaging £150 .  Damn ours is band E

Hooray, mine is band D.

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You will have to wait and see.  And what about regional variations, we have one of the highest "distribution charges" up here so I expect our new cap will be higher than estimated 28p

Perhaps someone somewhere will compile a table.

I believe suppliers are also permitted to apportion the cap between standing charge and unit price as they see fit, so there will be some minor variation there as well.

1 minute ago, Stones said:

I believe suppliers are also permitted to apportion the cap between standing charge and unit price as they see fit, so there will be some minor variation there as well.

They do a similar thing with E7. The day rate is higher than the capped rate. But overall the price is still cheaper for me.

34 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

They do a similar thing with E7. The day rate is higher than the capped rate. But overall the price is still cheaper for me.

E7 and E10, along with other LToU and SToU tariffs will soon disappear for new customers / those wanting to switch. The banging of the industry drum(s) is not a pleasant sound atm.  

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

E7 and E10, along with other LToU and SToU tariffs will soon disappear for new customers / those wanting to switch

I have been saying this for a while now. The difference in day and night prices has been eroded over the years. 

For most people the price difference between a fixed tariff and a flexible one has been similar, as long as they use 70% at the cheaper rate.

Even at my 80%, my unit price has been about 16p/kWh. Not so different from what a lot if people were paying anyway.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I have been saying this for a while now. The difference in day and night prices has been eroded over the years. 

For most people the price difference between a fixed tariff and a flexible one has been similar, as long as they use 70% at the cheaper rate.

Even at my 80%, my unit price has been about 16p/kWh. Not so different from what a lot if people were paying anyway.

Yup. Even people who already have these tariffs will find they are on borrowed time.

59 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

E7 and E10, along with other LToU and SToU tariffs will soon disappear for new customers / those wanting to switch. The banging of the industry drum(s) is not a pleasant sound atm.  

Here in Ireland windfarms are being curtailed overnight.  Free energy is being thrown away.  Even at E7 prices it is profitable to supply.

The UK (that has a dfifferent energy market) also has several GW lower nightime demand and too much supply.

I understand that, intuitively, E7 looks fragile in light of recent price increases but the system needs it.  I just don't think it will dissapear anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Mr Blobby said:

Here in Ireland windfarms are being curtailed overnight.  Free energy is being thrown away.

That is a good thing, it reduces the spinning and hot spinning fossil fuel reserves.

It is better to close down a few wind farms that let a large gas plant be shut down.  The restart costs are to high both financially and environmentally.

Luckily we don't have much biomass and OCGT units running now.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

That is a good thing, it reduces the spinning and hot spinning fossil fuel reserves.

It is better to close down a few wind farms that let a large gas plant be shut down.  The restart costs are to high both financially and environmentally.

Luckily we don't have much biomass and OCGT units running now.

Yes but with long start times the conventional fossil plants can't shutdown overnight and are left running at minimum generation.  Their efficiency is terrible, with much higher pollution and cost per MWh.  I'm all in favour on renewables but that's the cost of high wind penetration overnight.  And that;s why E7 will, I think be around for some time.  I hope so anyway because in the winter my EV will be charging.

I just hope the price of PV doesn't go through the roof before I get to install it next year.

55 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

understand that, intuitively, E7 looks fragile in light of recent price increases but the system needs it.  I just don't think it will dissapear anytime soon.

‘We’ve’ had very “strong indications” regarding the near future of this market from some quite robust industry sources. We are now discounting any ToU considerations from any new ( holistic ) enquiries due to the gestation periods involved.
Eg from time of enquiry to time of install is where we absolutely need to focus our diligence, so what we offer now still “does what is says on the tin” when the time of installation and commissioning arrives ;).