Help! I can't find the right FD30 doors and don't have the £ to go custom!

hendriQ

We weren't expecting to have to have so many FD30 doors, but the BCO has (rightly) pointed out that we do need them, as a fire curtain we were originally going to install won't work (for various reasons).

I need to use 2040mm high doors, but I'm struggling to find widths that fit our openings. For example, one opening is 2040 by 813, but we will need to shave the door either side by 3mm making it 2040 by 807. The closest standard sized FD30 door I can find is 2040 by 826, but this would mean shaving 9.5mm off each side, and I'm not sure that is doable as the recommendation seems to be to only shave up to 6mm off each edge. Anyone know how fast and hard that 6mm rule is?

The other opening we need is 2040 by 710 which would require shaving a 726 wide standard door down by 11mm each side.

An added complexity is that we would like decorative doors, not plain blanks.

Edited by hendriQ

There is a fair amount of saving on the fire curtain, so you should have a bit of budget.  Most of the metric doors are 2040 high and widths normally start at 626 and go up in 100mm increments.  It should be simple to shave a bit from either side.  Contact the supplier to confirm.  Some have 20mm lipping so your 11mm sounds doable.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem. I'm trying to find a blank solid core door that is in unfinished oak in a 2032 (though i could possibly use a 2040  high one) by 710 width. I had thought of looking for FD30s as these are solid core (although i don't need this to be FD30 compliant). This really shouldn't be difficult as it's just a blank, but i can't seem to find one in unfinished oak.

Any thoughts?

4 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I have a similar problem. I'm trying to find a blank solid core door that is in unfinished oak in a 2032 (though i could possibly use a 2040  high one) by 710 width. I had thought of looking for FD30s as these are solid core (although i don't need this to be FD30 compliant). This really shouldn't be difficult as it's just a blank, but i can't seem to find one in unfinished oak.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps I'm being slow but what do you mean by a blank door? A piece of oak that wide wouldn't normally be used as it would warp, so traditionally Oak doors have never been "plain", they have always been made from narrow boards or framed panels.

Edit: Ah you mean a flat veneered solid core door. Got it.

Edited by Temp

20 hours ago, Temp said:

Their custom size works, but at £400! Too much!

20 hours ago, Temp said:

Cheaper. FD30. Not sure if solid core..

https://www.doordeals.co.uk/product/oak-flush-fire-door-fd30

Unfortunately this one has been lacquered. It's clear lacquer but I'm not sure that will work as I need to stain it and then lacquer it. Also couldn't work out whether I could shave off 8mm off each side.