3D Trash Picker

Onoff

Decided I need a longer than average trash picker befitting someone of my stature. This after a spot of civic duty earlier. I took it upon myself to collect the recyclables along the 1/2 mile stretch outside my house. AONB my arse! ?

IMG_20211229_095431961.thumb.jpg.dbc2d65e6a72ab5de318456f39fd8ced.jpg

There were plenty of cans just out of reach in the hedgerows.

Found a business end, claw thing on Yeggi that uses a 10 or 15mm dia tube as the main shaft. Printed both options but it'll be based around 15mm copper pipe:

IMG_20211229_224924617.thumb.jpg.c70a45fc64d91cc989932c10dc1c3cd4.jpg

There was no design for a handle though so I came up with this. Just a render here, being printed at the moment. My lad did the chequering on the model I did: 

unknown.thumb.png.f60d481a8d38ed0e815dfbbcb0798e6b.png

• Like 3

The MK1 handle is printed and the 15mm pipe is a lovely transition fit. Likely a tad loose but PETG is inherently a bit hairy I find, so that helps with grip. The holes in the grip will make it a doddle to drill through the copper and fit some roll pins to hold it together. I might even just use split pins so I can field strip it with just a Leatherman... ?

IMG_20211230_084441066.thumb.jpg.4dcfb4fd97690456a638beed96fd9d7e.jpg

Really happy with the chequering effect my lad managed on the grip.

IMG_20211230_084453116.thumb.jpg.50fe649fbe965f2a8b2a816bac092821.jpg

However...

The ergonomics leave a bit to be desired. I have really big hands so should really scale this up a bit. I think it looks a bit lost:

IMG_20211230_084530284.thumb.jpg.3147eb4c35034342b5605e56a315a510.jpg

If I extend the copper out the back, up to a wrist brace, then it pushes into the flesh between thumb and forefinger. I wonder if that will rub and / or leave me with a green mark? It needs to be perfect so it's the envy of other trash pickers like an Ulfbehrt sword...

IMG_20211230_084542219.thumb.jpg.12000ae71c4b61e3426244647bf48d8b.jpg

Options are to make the grip bigger, lessen the grip angle maybe or raise the tube higher. As I designed the grip by laying a real trash picker on a flatbed scanner and tracing round the image in AutoCAD I'm happy for a first go.

IMG_20211229_212017669.thumb.jpg.b3b90d1786fd269aaf17714d5597321f.jpg

Trigger next I guess.

5 minutes ago, Radian said:

That's very cool. Was it using a parametric CAD like OpenSCAD? 

I did the basic 3D model in AutoCAD and exported as an STL.

My lad tweaked it and added the chequering in Fusion 360 I think.

Clive, thats brilliant.

Looks like it'll do the job much better than my current litter picker. Stuff slips through the jaws because (I think) I can't get enough grip, and sometimes if I do get the right grip level, then the jaws cut through the material. 

Maybe the jaw lips could have a small ridge on them so that, locally, the grip pressure is greater there than elsewhere in the jaw? 

I ask because - on occasion - I have to lift quite heavy 'litter'   -  dead rats. 

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Clive, thats brilliant.

Steady on now, there's the whole not losing interest / finishing it issues to overcome yet! ?

The great thing about this 3D stuff is it's scaleable. So you could make a bigger one for bigger loads or bigger operators even. Good old Fred Taylor!

Interesting with your situation hand wise as you could make custom grips etc. A wrist brace might compensate for lack of hand strength to hold the thing and so on. 

So now I have to figure the trigger (that rhymes ?).

In the original box section type it's quite simple as the inside faces of the box side walls provide a bearing surface for the plastic trigger:

IMG_20211230_134127108.thumb.jpg.d48c9b84af24a0cfd59bb54c2563ae69.jpg

Shouldn't be insurmountable though. A bit of time on the CAD should have it figured. I'm thinking it'll be a case of cutting a slot with a Dremel in the underside of the copper pipe. It's amazing what you can do with a Dremel and all the various cutting discs and grinding stones, that and some needle files:

IMG_20210531_185202629.thumb.jpg.e5c09745c674ac2ac4454345a3a1a17b.jpg

I need to sort that bottom corner where I overshot with the grinding tool.

IMG_20210531_185036323.thumb.jpg.4b8f915a4037578762ab6708eeaaa92a.jpg

(Yet another unfinished project ?)

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I am sure there is a strange looking file called a rifling file, kind of pointed, 3 side and curved at the end.

The Lidl set doesn't have one in ?

I think you mean a riffler file? 

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

.... A wrist brace might compensate for lack of hand strength to hold the thing and so on. 

Exactly.

I find that proper leather gloves make a huge difference to my hand grip strength: I'm always looking for ways to compensate for my stump-filled hands. A wrist brace is an idea  I haven't explored... thanks.

8 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Exactly.

I find that proper leather gloves make a huge difference to my hand grip strength: I'm always looking for ways to compensate for my stump-filled hands. A wrist brace is an idea  I haven't explored... thanks.

There's some really clever stuff done with 3D scanning of affected limbs. Enables exact fitting prostheses to perfectly fit the stump or whatever. Used in restorative dental work today.

Mulling building a simple scanner here at the moment (uses a mobile phone strapped to it). 

Could push your hand into algenate or similar, cast in plaster, 3D scan, make a socket etc. There's a lot more to it than that in terms of comfortable fit etc. 

How about an exoskeleton for your hand with the missing finger(s) "driven" by the remaining ones? ? 

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

I did the basic 3D model in AutoCAD and exported as an STL.

My lad tweaked it and added the chequering in Fusion 360 I think.

Looks cool. The way I would do it in Fusion 360 (or any other cad) is to design one dimple then use the pattern tool to create a grid of dimples. It's the same tool used to make a line or rectangular pattern of identical holes. 

9 hours ago, Temp said:

Looks cool. The way I would do it in Fusion 360 (or any other cad) is to design one dimple then use the pattern tool to create a grid of dimples. It's the same tool used to make a line or rectangular pattern of identical holes. 

Think he extruded a line of triangles on the X axis, then the same on the Y. To get like a "mat" of pyramids.

15 hours ago, Onoff said:

How about an exoskeleton for your hand with the missing finger(s) "driven" by the remaining ones? ? 

Imagine my reaction when I found this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1TkiN309_4

And then imagine my disappointment when, delving deeper into the background and contatcting the development team, I find that the only interest they had was in securing more funding for their project. The outcome for people who might need the product(s) was of no concern at all.

And we all need six fingers per hand don't we? 

Edited by ToughButterCup