Looking to self build for the family

Ric88

Afternoon,

Me and my wife are currently looking to do a self build in the South Norfolk/North Suffolk area. We're hoping to build a house for our children to grow up in (both pre-school). Currently in the looking for land phase which has proved difficult, my wife was keen on an extremely specific area, but has recently agreed to expand after driving around some of the local area. I decided to join this forum to hopefully find some inspiration and advice. 

We decided to build instead of buy as most houses on the market are just not what we're looking for, for instance fourth bedroom box rooms and generally small bedrooms. We both had big bedrooms growing up which gave us privacy and we're keen for our kids to have the same. Additionally we have a large amount of family that visit so need more space for them. Plus we really want something more energy efficient. 

Currently looking within the area contained by south of Norwich to just south of Beccles/Harleston and Long Stratton to Loddon. 

My advise would be to have your finances ready for the purchase of the plot 

Good plots go fast 

We spent seven years looking for our plot in a specific area The next two plots fell into our lap after twelve months of looking

Agree the spec with the Mrs before you start! Include everything.

I build houses for a living and it is fine - building mine has been a disaster as I feel I can't order the gear as it is needed. Took 4 months after I said I needed to press the button for them for the bathroom vanity units to arrive. Not good.

Kicking another 10 plots off next year - I will keep 1 but it will be my investment plot.  Won't be doing another self build.  The stress of it has actually put me in hospital.

I will be wrapping up the build in the next 4 weeks - 14 month programme for three 4b detached houses totalling 7000 sq. ft. so not the end of the world but frustating as hell on 3000 sq. ft. of it!

Welcome @Ric88. We are in the Breckland area and are nearing the end of our self build.

We project manage ours and can confirm the stress of it all. Are you going to be living in a house while you build? 

I do know of a potential plot in this area. The owner is supposed to be building it himself but I know that he is extremely busy with his main business. He sold three other plots to self builders but retained this one to erect and sell on/rent out himself (not to live in as he has already done his). Not sure if he could be persuaded to sell it as a plot or not but I could enquire?