To spray or not to spray

CotswoldDoItUpper

Spraying is a mixed blessing.

It will take some time to mask. You'll spray it in 10 minutes.

Then 2 hours clearing up and cleaning the sprayer out.

It's one of those things I'm hesitant to recommend . But ; I bought my sprayer so suffer the consequences of it.

When it works perfectly it's a dream - when it blocks or splutters it's an object to swear at.....

Edited by pocster

Traditional but use roller, plenty of smaller sizes available mist first, then caulk then two coats , 

hot potato is I do edges first, usually with a mini masonry roller to within 5mm of the edge if not another wall.  with a brush second, then immediately roller the panel, ceiling or wall 

2 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

@tonyshouse even with all those edges? 

I’m happy to spend time cleaning the sprayer, I just hate actual painting, especially cutting in. 

any recommendations on brand?

Thanks all! 

We’ve got a Wagner sprayer. Simple to clean out between coats and has been very reliable. Would happily recommend.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vala said:

We’ve got a Wagner sprayer. Simple to clean out between coats and has been very reliable. Would happily recommend.

I have a Wagner also . I find it temperamental with ‘full thick ‘ paint ( even with minor dilution ) . The mist coat is a dream though . I laugh as I do it . Could do an entire house in an hour I reckon . I guess if it’s just a room/ ceiling then perhaps it’s not worth it . If you do have lots of painting your back and shoulders will thank you for using a sprayer .

Edited by pocster

On 29/12/2021 at 11:27, pocster said:

I have a Wagner also . I find it temperamental with ‘full thick ‘ paint ( even with minor dilution ) . The mist coat is a dream though . I laugh as I do it . Could do an entire house in an hour I reckon . I guess if it’s just a room/ ceiling then perhaps it’s not worth it . If you do have lots of painting your back and shoulders will thank you for using a sprayer .

Tbh my girlfriend is the one that does the painting so I’m just going off what she says. She’s only used F&B and Dulux paint and I think it’s only the Dulux she needs to dilute ever so slightly. But she does wash it out between every coat so maybe that helps to minimise any blockages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vala said:

Tbh my girlfriend is the one that does the painting so I’m just going off what she says. She’s only used F&B and Dulux paint and I think it’s only the Dulux she needs to dilute ever so slightly. But she does wash it out between every coat so maybe that helps to minimise any blockages.

Yeah I washed mine out between every coat also . Can your girlfriend do my painting ?