Structual Warranty

nod

Hi All,

Did anyone ever go with CMLC ?

I am in the same boat as others here and they are not only the cheapest but others have been so challenging to even get a quote, I have given up with them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pstunt said:

Hi All,

Did anyone ever go with CMLC ?

I am in the same boat as others here and they are not only the cheapest but others have been so challenging to even get a quote, I have given up with them.

I went with them :) 

1 hour ago, DragsterDriver said:

I don’t think it’s possible to claim on any type of warranty really, it’s just a formality.

I tried and failed. Render system issue (carrier board cracking) but as defects were noticed in first two years (even though root cause was not clear) they 'declined' to help.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses to my question.

I think I will also then go with them even though the general consensus is that any warranty is virtually worthless from a claims perspective. I start my build in 2 weeks, hopefully, and it will be touch and go as to whether I will need a mortgage. Hence the need of a warranty that's accepted by the major banks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

I tried and failed. Render system issue (carrier board cracking) but as defects were noticed in first two years (even though root cause was not clear) they 'declined' to help.

from experience with cars etc, no warranty really stands up sadly!

• 4 weeks later...

For those considering warranties, we are having awful trouble getting our self-build signed off with Protek. The flat roof is causing the issue. This has been going on for a year now and is stopping us re-mortgaging so we are still paying self-build finance rates. So if you have a flat roof in your design then think twice about Protek, or at least check that your contractor and materials supplier can provide the insurance backed guarantees that Protek requires to provide a warranty. A materials warranty (backed by PI insurance) and a contractors warranty are not sufficient. They want the contractor to cover the materials (which they can't) and both to be insurance backed, which they aren't as standard. Sika is our materials provider and the roof was installed by one of its registered contractors. 

1 hour ago, Weebles said:

For those considering warranties, we are having awful trouble getting our self-build signed off with Protek. The flat roof is causing the issue. This has been going on for a year now and is stopping us re-mortgaging so we are still paying self-build finance rates. So if you have a flat roof in your design then think twice about Protek, or at least check that your contractor and materials supplier can provide the insurance backed guarantees that Protek requires to provide a warranty. A materials warranty (backed by PI insurance) and a contractors warranty are not sufficient. They want the contractor to cover the materials (which they can't) and both to be insurance backed, which they aren't as standard. Sika is our materials provider and the roof was installed by one of its registered contractors. 

I'm surprised Sika won't provide a materials warranty if the roof was done by a registered contractor.

Would it be cheaper long term to get the flat part redone by a company that can provide an insurance backed warranty? How big is it?

Edited by Temp

Seems they stopped offering insurance backed guarantees in 2015 ish.. Reasons here..

https://gbr.sika.com/en/media/news/2015/changing-world-of-guarantees.html

I think I'd write to Sika and make the CEO aware of the issue with them not providing a IBW and Protek. How can anyone use their products on a new build?

Edited by Temp

4 hours ago, Weebles said:

For those considering warranties, we are having awful trouble getting our self-build signed off with Protek.

Interesting. I've just had some weird conversations with them this week. They've claimed I haven't submitted required evidence for my structural warranty. I had the structural inspection nearly 2 years ago which was signed off. I told them I'd received an email from their oppointed warranty inspector that I'd satisfied all this evidence and everything was clear (thankfully I still have the email). They then said that wasn't enough as they hadn't seen the evidence. So I asked them to ask him as I'd sent it all through nearly 2 years ago and they declined asking me to send it directly to them for assessment by their technical auditor. I fear games are about to commence on this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weebles said:

I've had exactly the same issue with Protek and my flat roof, albeit with Bauder as the materials manufacturer.

Bauder only supply a 'company backed insurance supported' guarantee which didn't meet Proteks (changing) requirements.

Also after nearly a year of back and forth, I have had this signed off.

In the end the installer agreed to cover the materials alongside their workmanship guarantee. They were reluctant to do so and needed approval from their insurance backer. They only did this because I argued they had breached contract by not supplying me with a roof that has an insurance backed guarantee for materials and workmanship and that they would be liable if I chose to rip the roof off and get another firm in to deliver.

I felt a bit for the roofing contractor as they did a good job and didn't deserve to get roped into Protek's unwillingness to warranty.

On 02/05/2022 at 19:33, Temp said:

Would it be cheaper long term to get the flat part redone by a company that can provide an insurance backed warranty? How big is it?

It is the entire flat roof of the house, so over 160 sqm in total - not going to get that re-done. But am starting to wonder if it would be cheaper to go to another warranty provider and start the whole thing again.

On 02/05/2022 at 19:43, Temp said:

I think I'd write to Sika and make the CEO aware of the issue with them not providing a IBW and Protek. How can anyone use their products on a new build?

I have already been in contact with them on this and they recommend an insurance backed guarantee from QANW. I have asked Protek if they will accept this. No response yet.

On 02/05/2022 at 22:22, willbish said:

I've had exactly the same issue with Protek and my flat roof, albeit with Bauder as the materials manufacturer.

Bauder only supply a 'company backed insurance supported' guarantee which didn't meet Proteks (changing) requirements.

Also after nearly a year of back and forth, I have had this signed off.

In the end the installer agreed to cover the materials alongside their workmanship guarantee. They were reluctant to do so and needed approval from their insurance backer. They only did this because I argued they had breached contract by not supplying me with a roof that has an insurance backed guarantee for materials and workmanship and that they would be liable if I chose to rip the roof off and get another firm in to deliver.

I felt a bit for the roofing contractor as they did a good job and didn't deserve to get roped into Protek's unwillingness to warranty.

I fear we are going down a similar route and the roofing contractor has so far been more than reasonable and is roped into this mess now because we chose Protek. I have asked Protek exactly what the require and there is definitely no willingness on their side to budge.  Their wording is below and they say they need this from both the materials supplier and from the roofing contractor. Looks like I will be relying on the goodwill of my roofing contractors insurance company to provide an insurance backed guarantee like @willbish

Very frustrating all round. Protek is one to avoid in my view.

Flat Roof Insurance Backed Guarantee Requirement

The Policyholder shall provide an insurance backed guarantee covering the workmanship and materials for all flat roof coverings and roof void ventilation works.

The guarantee issued by the insurance company shall:

i)                    Independently insurance back the original guarantor’s company guarantee and provide cover in the event the original guarantor ceases to trade;

ii)                   Have a minimum cover period of 10 years or more;

iii)                 Cover both workmanship and materials of the flat roof covering and roof void ventilation works;

iv)                 Confirm the transferability of the guarantee to future owners.