Forgive my ignorance.

CotswoldDoItUpper

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The 3.5kw product you quote is a suspiciously small package for the claimed capacity, I note they claim to have developed their own variation of the lithium battery compound. This leads to two possibilities, either you have revealed the breaking wave of a new generation of battery technology or you have linked to some eBay snake oil merchant.

The following lithium battery review gives a better indication of the cost of mainstream lithium batteries.

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/lithium-batteries-for-boats-reviewed-12-of-the-best-lithium-boat-batteries-tested-62244

These have been out for years.

favoured by many on the old Navitron forum

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Does someone make a system where you have a large, say 10kWp solar PV array, connected to batteries, then an inverter, with the inverter output limited to 3.68kW?

That would allow the over sized array to charge the batteries during the day and discharge over a longer period at the maximum G98 rate, thus allowing a larger array to be (loosely) grid connected.

The nearest I know of (I've not researched extensivley) is SolarEdge SE3680H can be oversized to 5700kWp of panels, and supports a DC-coupled battery.

Solax have a similar offering X1-HYBRID-3.7T  https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/solax/solax-x1-hybrid-3.7-triplepower

https://www.solaxpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/X1-hybrid-datasheet-1.pdf

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Does someone make a system where you have a large, say 10kWp solar PV array, connected to batteries, then an inverter, with the inverter output limited to 3.68kW?

That would allow the over sized array to charge the batteries during the day and discharge over a longer period at the maximum G98 rate, thus allowing a larger array to be (loosely) grid connected.

I seem to recall an episode of 'Fully Charged' in which they installed a second Tesla Powerwall but had to upgrade to a 3 phase supply first.

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

These have been out for years.

favoured by many on the old Navitron forum

Sorry but something does not add up, a competitive market should establish a sane price range over a period of time.

A trusted name like Victron sells at £833 per kWh of headline lithium capacity.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-Energy-LiFePO4-Battery-12-8V-100Ah-Smart-BAT512110610-/253949300476?mkcid=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338700537&toolid=10001&customid=1275_-1_54741006

Your example sells at £386 per kWh and includes fancy 19" computer rack mount packaging plus battery management control circuitry.

From a sizing point of view it will be necessary to allow of 10% inverter loss and then add another 20% because 80% discharge is generally accepted as the deepest state of discharge that is considered desirable. For the OP and the 35kWh requirement this implies 46 kWh of installed lithium capacity = £886 x 46 = £38k + a very large inverter + plus charge management gubbins + a sizable plant room.

Call it £45k depreciated over 12 years = £3750 depreciation per year.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

29 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

No need to be smugly and nitpicky over a general concept you have only just discovered. Makes you act like a teenage WOKE.

Says the man who posts 20 to 30 times a month claiming outrageous miscapitalisation of KwH.

4 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Says the man who posts 20 to 30 times a month claiming outrageous miscapitalisation of KwH.

Yes, and most of them are your errors (amongst many others).

But then you think that a word can have an polar opposite meaning when it suits your fantasy argument, you even disagree with people that agree with you.

Bet you were fun to teach at school, held up the whole class I suspect.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, and most of them are your errors (amongst many others).

I stopped mis capitalizing kWh about 2 months ago but you still hunt down same error by others usually within hours. It is most odd behaviour by someone who reacts badly when corrected over a more substantial factual error. Are you distantly related to James Watt?

Just now, epsilonGreedy said:

I stopped mis capitalizing kWh about 2 months ago but you still hunt down same error by others usually within hours. It is most odd behaviour by someone who reacts badly when corrected over a more substantial factual error. Are you distantly related to James Watt?

You can get treatment for Asperger's syndrome if you want to.

3 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Sorry but something does not add up, a competitive market should establish a sane price range over a period of time.

A trusted name like Victron sells at £833 per kWh of headline lithium capacity.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victron-Energy-LiFePO4-Battery-12-8V-100Ah-Smart-BAT512110610-/253949300476?mkcid=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338700537&toolid=10001&customid=1275_-1_54741006

Your example sells at £386 per kWh and includes fancy 19" computer rack mount packaging plus battery management control circuitry.

From a sizing point of view it will be necessary to allow of 10% inverter loss and then add another 20% because 80% discharge is generally accepted as the deepest state of discharge that is considered desirable. For the OP and the 35kWh requirement this implies 46 kWh of installed lithium capacity = £886 x 46 = £38k + a very large inverter + plus charge management gubbins + a sizable plant room.

Call it £45k depreciated over 12 years = £3750 depreciation per year.

Ok just trying to point you towards an alternative, it’s not an issue if you want to buy a more expensive version, your link is for a 12 volt version, mine is for 48volt.

Edited by TonyT

41 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Ok just trying to point you towards an alternative, it’s not an issue if you want to buy a more expensive version, your link is for a 12 volt version, mine is for 48volt.

Boat owners particularly Americans often create higher voltage battery banks by connecting some batteries in series to create a 24v boat system out of 12 volt batteries. I think with some planning it is possible to config a single battery bank for both 12 volt and 24 volt outlets.

At the end of the day were are just buying kW hours of battery capacity with various cell configs to achieve different output voltages at the terminals.

One thing is becoming clear to me is that boat owners and self builders have a different perspective on the technology. Boat owners have been living offgrid for decades and expect to create a solution onboard from the individual components whereas self builders view offgrid battery power as a turnkey product.

I came to realize after living on boats for months over many years that £0.21 for a kW hour of mains power available 24x7 at any time of year with zero generator noise is phenomenally good value compared to the alternatives.

The following video shows how a boat owner created a Lithium offgrid solution ( their travel videos are more interesting).

38 minutes ago, JOE187 said:

The unqualified "6000" cycles is meaningless.

The Victron battery link I provided earlier has a properly specified definition of expected cycles, they need to do this because they sell to a more discerning market.

VOLTAGE AND CAPACITY

Nominal voltage

12,8V

Nominal capacity @ 25°C

100Ah

Nominal capacity @ 0°C

80Ah

Nominal capacity @ -20°C

50Ah

Nominal energy @ 25°C

1280Wh

CYCLE LIFE (capacity ≥ 80% of nominal)