Quick Fix Cylinder

Onoff

Having run out of oil recently I got back to thinking than an immersion would be handy to have as a back up for hot water. The existing copper cylinder that came with the house (nom 1070x450) is "wedged" up under the rafters. There is an unconnected immersion but it's all broken about the terminals. I reckon it's about 17 or 18 years old. It's also the "wrong" side to access / replace.

20170421_174157

The immersion site right under a rafter.

20170421_174221

So I thought I'd go grab a new st/st one.  (I don't want to move the hot water cylinder or bugger about at the mo thinking about a TS or UVC btw).

But I'm confused. There's this one:

https://www.bes.co.uk/indirect-stainless-steel-cylinders-1065-x-450-mm-48in-x-18in-160-litres?ref=gs&gclid=CI6d-uH6tdMCFbgK0wod7GYJkA

Or this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rm-indirect-ss-cylinder-1065-x-450/93313#product_additional_details_container

They would both put the immersion the right side for access.

What's the better make Stelstor or RM?

And for the same overall size the Stelstor says it's 160L but the RM 206L? Both stainless. Very odd! Extra litreage would be good.

Edited by Onoff

20 minutes ago, asklair said:

Heres a better solution, http://learn.eartheasy.com/2012/06/how-to-make-a-poor-mans-hot-tub/

I like your posts, thinking of building that solar can heater, the best part will be drinking the beer to get the cans to do the job.

Ah yes the design from Boil-A-Gilf Inc. :)

I've seen some dangerous sh!t but that takes the crown!

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You mean to fit a short immersion sideways?

Yes.  Someone with some sort of clue will be able to tell you how low on the tank you should consider fitting it.  

The Willis-type arrangement would likely be less of a faff.

Yes they are short 15mm fittings, but the things work like a dream, far, far better than an immersion in the cylinder,  We stayed in a cottage up in the Antrim Glens a few years ago, lovely place, miles from any other house,  All the hot water came from a cylinder with a Willis heater sat in the bottom of the hot press.  The really great thing about the Willis is that you get enough hot water to do the washing up after maybe five to ten minutes, as it always heats the very top of the tank first.  I'd strongly recommend one, based on our couple of weeks of using one.

As a side note, I just really love North Antrim, one of my favourite place in the UK.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Being blessed with a slightly perverse mind, the image that an "Essex flange" conjures up is definitely not safe for this forum...........

Wash your mouth out ?

All the girls from Essex are wholesome churchgoing folk. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Willis Heater is ideal for this situation - it's a couple of hours to retrofit but use compression fittings not push fit as it can get pretty hot on the top tee. 

Also makes it easier to remove it when you get round to fitting that UVC.....