Should downpipe connect directly to the running outlet?

Oxbow16

Hi all

I've had to move and reconfigure a downpipe because I've fitted a new kitchen extractor and the vent is slap bang where the downpipe was.  The guttering is ogee and the downpipes/bends are square.... 

I bought a couple of 112.5 degree offset bends, thinking that's all I'd need.  The bends will need to sit lower than directly beneath the running outlet, and I thought I would be able to use a small piece of downpipe between the running outlet and the bends.  But the downpipe doesn't fit onto the running outlet.  I've watched some videos and on all of those the downpipe fits directly.  Mind you, most of the videos were for round guttering. 

So is it because I'm mix and matching different brands?  Or is it normal for square downpipe not to fit directly? 

I'm wondering if this will solve the problem? 

https://www.toolstation.com/65mm-square-pipe-socket/p22842

And if so, is it a bodge or is one of these always needed in this scenario?

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

Or is it normal for square downpipe not to fit directly? 

yeh they don’t - you can push it up tight and see if it will clip onto the outlet or just cut a short length of downpipe and solvent weld it to the running outlet and then fit the socket accordingly. 

• Thanks 1

I think the socket piece should connect directly to the outlet without issue.  The 112 degree bend slots on nicely, and I think the socket will be the same fitting as that.  So all good and I'll get one on order.  

Cheers