Section 80 - Notice of Intended Demolition

Mania

Good morning! 

I hope you all had a good Christmas! 

Please can you help?

I am looking to submit a Section 80 - Notice of Demolition to get this part of admin out of the way.

I asked the Building Control team what they need in relation to "any drains and sewers to be sealed, disconnected or removed".

So I marked them on the site plan as attached:

•  Pink = Drain
  • Green = Underground Drain
  • Blue = Sewage Drain

And sent the plan attached for feedback and received the following advice, "We require more information on the drawing showing the drain runs for the existing drains and sewers which are to be sealed, disconnected or removed. The drawing you submitted looks as though it shows just manholes and gullys" 

Does anybody have any tips or examples on how to present this information?

This is a 1930's bungalow and I don't know if there will be any site plans anywhere. We will be able to work it out roughly but I have no clue on how to present this additional information. Do I literally just draw lines of the pipes? I am horrified that my husband has just told me that the manhole in our kitchen by the back door is to the sewage ? Thank fully I have never smelt anything. 

Thank you. 

Mania

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 11.22.19.png

22 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

Mark the manholes and say that drains/sewer sealed temporarily in the manholes with drainage bungs and left ready for reconnection probably only need one of each 

pink are irrelevant if house being demolished 

Thank you

I submitted a section 80 to demolish a large disused garage on my plot.  After 3 weeks I'd heard nothing from the council so I went ahead with the demolition as it was holding up progress & my groundworkers would have moved to another job otherwise.  A week later received a response from the council asking when I intended to start the demolition.  Sorry, already happened!  But I did send them the demolition contractor's methodology statement & post-demolition report which showed everything was done properly.  Never heard anything back from the council - my assumption is that they're too under-resourced to show much interest in my case.

• Thanks 1

On 28/12/2021 at 17:41, matthyde83 said:

Sorry to hijack but this is first I’ve heard of a section 80.  I have planning to demolish my bungalow and replace with a 5 bed detached.  Starting Feb.  Do I need to file a section 80?

Hi Matthyde83,

Yes, you need to file a section 80, then the local authority will provide a counter notice for you to proceed and if you don’t hear back at 6 weeks you can start.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/55/section/80

I emailed our local authority’s building control team who sent me a basic form. 

Have you sorted out your party wall agreements (if applicable) before you start your build and checked if CIL is due? 

Good luck ?. We plan to demolish our bungalow and replace with a 5 bed detached too. Although we are likely to early next year. Exciting times! 

Edited by Mania

Yep I filed it after reading these posts. So we’re good to go. Had to inform utilities but told them no action needed as we’ve already moved all the service connections to the garage so can isolate the bungalow from there. 

CIL and no party wall agreements. 

All systems go!!

HI All

Just at the same stage and hoping to get the existing structure down very shortly.

I have the complication of HV overheads and asbestos to work around.

Any tips on preparing this document or word examples i could use would be very much appreciated

Thanks

BoB 

P.S - can i do this step before full building regs ready ?

Edited by bob the builder 2
update

4 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

asbestos to work around.

Think dismantling rather than demolition.

Look at HSE guidance on working with asbestos (which is proportionate and sensible) and Local Authority rules on disposal 

Or get a company to do it.

Then make sure it is done sensibly for your own health and workers and neighbours.

OH lines, the rules should be published online (or phone them) , and are mainly to do with proximity. High voltages jump a long way to a metal object such as a crane or hoist (or person on roof) and fusing the neighbourhood doesn't go down well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/01/2022 at 12:42, matthyde83 said:

"Had to inform utilities but told them no action needed as we’ve already moved all the service connections to the garage so can isolate the bungalow from there". 

Hi Matthyde83

When you mention service connections do you include others apart from gas & electricity? And sorry for being a bit thick, does that mean the meters too? 

Our site has to be cleared for piling so keeping the existing garage for housing would not be an option for us. 

Would we need to choose where on our drive we want those services to be from where the builders connect? What will they "live" in?

Thank you. 

20 hours ago, Mania said:

Hi Matthyde83

When you mention service connections do you include others apart from gas & electricity? And sorry for being a bit thick, does that mean the meters too? 

Our site has to be cleared for piling so keeping the existing garage for housing would not be an option for us. 

Would we need to choose where on our drive we want those services to be from where the builders connect? What will they "live" in?

Thank you. 

Yep ours is all pour meters etc.  We’ve located them on/in the garage.  Plus taken mains water into there.  So we can isolate the bungalow from the garage for demolition.  

• Like 1