Varilight LED V-pro smart dimmer issue

Bobbyboo

I just installed these Varilight V-Pro LED Smart Dimmers (https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLMJM100.html) in the bedrooms (one master and one slave each) and they work fine, except they also switch on and off when someone switches the hallway lights which are on the same lighting circuit with normal rocker switches (2 SPST + 1 intermediate).

Weirdly this doesn’t happen when I switch the bathroom lights which are also on the same circuit (1 SPST). I’m fairly certain I’ve wired it correctly as per the diagram below and the instructions (https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Varilight_Instructions/V-PRO_Smart_Dimmer_Instructions.pdf).

I’m under the load limit, 45W in the bedroom for a 120W dimmer. 

Could it be something to do with the wiring of the hallway switches? That said seem to work fine by themselves. 

323D4096-E71F-4EDE-8727-B48D7BDA5740.png

Edited by Bobbyboo

Can the type of lights/controllers you are using on the other circuits be sending a 'spike' down the line that is affecting the controllers.

Some people pay extra to get 'remote control' of lighting circuits.  Usually done over the interweb, but not sure why.

34 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can the type of lights/controllers you are using on the other circuits be sending a 'spike' down the line that is affecting the controllers.

Some people pay extra to get 'remote control' of lighting circuits.  Usually done over the interweb, but not sure why.

That’s my suspicion as well, as these smart dimmers are always on; ie they have a small current between the master and the slave. It doesn’t happen every time, only about 50% and both on and off. So that might suggest a spike being read as a switch.

That said I’m really not sure why or how… the hallway lights which trigger the bedroom dimmers are the same LEDs as in the bedroom. 6x 5W for a total of 30W GU14 controlled via a a traditional three switch layout with 3 rocker switches (2x SPDT and 1x intermediate). Nothing smart, no transformers. The bedroom lights which don’t trigger are only 5W so maybe the spike there isn’t big enough. 

As I recall these dimmers have a mechanical push on/push off so can't be a spike in the mains causing it.

My guess is this circuit has been connected to the switched live in the hall rather than permanant live? Something like that.

12 hours ago, Bobbyboo said:

they also switch on and off when someone switches the hallway lights which are on the same lighting circuit

I'm looking with suspicion at that “S-LINK” connection. I take it you have installed some supplementary controllers as per your diagram?

If so, and the cables for the hallway lighting and supplementary controllers are in close proximity then it may be capacitive coupling.

They do say:

total cable length from the master to the last supplementary controller should be no more than 50m

Which implies a certain degree of sensitivity on this signal line.

6 minutes ago, Radian said:

I'm looking with suspicion at that “S-LINK” connection. I take it you have installed some supplementary controllers as per your diagram?

If so, and the cables for the hallway lighting and supplementary controllers are in close proximity then it may be capacitive coupling.

They do say:

Which implies a certain degree of sensitivity on this signal line.

Thanks! You may be spot on - I have a supplementary controller linked via the S link. The live wire splits to the hallway and is in very close proximity to the S link, maybe I need to add some extra insulation and push them apart a bit further. Will give this a try tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, Temp said:

As I recall these dimmers have a mechanical push on/push off so can't be a spike in the mains causing it.

My guess is this circuit has been connected to the switched live in the hall rather than permanant live? Something like that.

Thanks! Will check but I don’t think so - if it was a switched live then surely they should turn on/off every single time rather than at random? As I understand it, these pro smart dimmers are always on and don’t have a mechanical on/off (the normal v-pro do, but not the smart).

14 hours ago, Bobbyboo said:

Thanks! Will check but I don’t think so - if it was a switched live then surely they should turn on/off every single time rather than at random? As I understand it, these pro smart dimmers are always on and don’t have a mechanical on/off (the normal v-pro do, but not the smart).

You're probably correct. I've only seen the normal ones.

After several hour of testing and checking everything I am coming to the conclusion that either the V-Pro Smart dimmer switch must be broken, or there is an issue with the switches or wiring of the hallway lights.

I disconnected the slave and only left the master connected via live and neutral terminals (no slave needed). Switching the hallway lights, which are on the same circuit as the bedroom, via any of the hallway switches (end or intermediate) still causes the bedroom lights to switch on from time to time.  I also seperated the wires as far as possible and ensured no contact, and as there is no slave link in this setup, capacitive coupling is unlikely. Since all the hallway lights and switches are working correctly and this happens using any of the hallway switches, it's probable that it is a faulty V-Pro Smart dimmer switch.

The V-Pro Smart dimmer switch are always on. I guess, switching any of the other lights on the same circuit will always cause a small spike in voltage which the V-Pro Smart dimmer switch reads as a signal (even though it shouldn't).

I will email Varilight support and see if they have any suggestions or explanations 

Edited by Bobbyboo